Recommended Classical Lexicon?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
MMoser
Textkit Neophyte

Recommended Classical Lexicon?

Post by MMoser »

Anyone have a lexicon for working with classical Greek that they would recommend?

GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

Post by GlottalGreekGeek »

Which writers do you want to read?

If you want an all-purpose lexicon, the best are the Liddell-Scott lexicons, which come in small (much abridged), medium (abridged, but less so), and large (unabridged) sizes. I myself own a copy of the Middle Liddell aka Intermediate Greek-English lexicon (which is the medium size), which I bought for 27$ in a local store. The Middle Liddell and the Great Scott are also availible online at Perseus, where it is keyword-searchable.

If you have something more specific in mind, let us know, there might be a better lexicon for your specific purpose (for example, if you want to read Homer, you should get Cunliffe's Lexicon of the Homeric Dialect).

MMoser
Textkit Neophyte

Post by MMoser »

GGG wrote:Which writers do you want to read?
Well, this semester I am working with Gregory of Nyssa (one of the Eastern Church Fathers) who wrote in the 4th century. His Greek is much more advanced than Biblical Greek, so I wasn't sure if my Liddell Scott would be helpful. I do have access to the medium LS and I can always access the Great Scott online. But I wasn't sure if there was another lexicon anyone would recommend. Thanks, GGG!

easternugget
Textkit Neophyte

Post by easternugget »

I believe Bauer's Lexicon (BDAG) has words from the early church fathers, but I don't know which fathers that includes.

GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

Post by GlottalGreekGeek »

Well, I don't know much about Koine, but I have heard that it is better to get a good koine-specific lexicon than to rely on the LSJ lexicons (but don't take my word for this - ask somebody on the Koine board).

EDIT : Here is a quote from the Preface to the Middle Liddell (I put in the bold)
Generally speaking, words used only by late writers and scientific terms have been omitted. But from Homer downwards, to the close of Classical Attic Greek, care has been taken to insert all words. Besides these, will be found words used by Aristotle in his moral and plitical treatises, by Polybius and Strabo in the books generally read by students, by Plutarch in his Lives, by Lucian, by the Poets of the Anthology, and by the writers of the New Testament.
The church fathers do not seem to be on the list. Are you doing this for a class? Perhaps you should consult your professor.

Even if the LSJ offers what you need, the advantage of a writer or period specific lexicon is that you can find the exact meaning(s) of the word easily, whereas the LSJ covers the whole range of meanings which the word held over time and across writers, which can be a little tough to slog through.

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Regarding BDAG check out the reviews (and price) at Amazon.
I think it is the best bet for your purpose.

Brian
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Brian »

Hello

A Patristic Greek Lexicon by G. W. H. Lampe

good luck

Brian

MMoser
Textkit Neophyte

Post by MMoser »

Brian wrote:Hello

A Patristic Greek Lexicon by G. W. H. Lampe

good luck

Brian
Excellent! Thank you, Brian! I will check it out.