Textkit Logo

Imperative endings

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Imperative endings

Postby Bert » Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:42 pm

[face=SPIonic]i)/qi[/face] is the 2nd sg. imperative of [face=SPIonic]ei)=mi[/face]<br />This is not a regular ending, but [face=SPIonic]ei)=mi[/face] seems to be a bit of an odd kind of verb.<br />[face=SPIonic]klu=qi[/face] is also an imerative and it has the same ending. Is this ending more regular than I am thinking or am I missing something obvious?<br />Thank you
Bert
Textkit Zealot

Re:Imperative endings

Postby annis » Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:53 pm

The [face=SPIonic]-qi[/face] 2.sg. imperative ending is used with particular verb forms. For example, the athematic second aorists. In a few days an article I've written about those will show up elsewhere on Textkit. <br /><br />In any case some other athematic verb forms (that is, they don't use a helping vowel before the ending) also take this ending, which includes several of the [face=SPIonic]-mi[/face] verbs which are irregular enough to get written out in grammars, certain aorists, and a few second perfects.<br /><br />The ending isn't common, but the verbs that use it are. :) [face=SPIonic]i)/qi[/face] and [face=SPIonic]klu=qi[/face] are both very common.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;
annis
Textkit Zealot

Re:Imperative endings

Postby Emma_85 » Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:08 pm

[face=SPIonic]oi)~da i)/sqi[/face] is also quite common, and then of course there's also [face=SPIonic]ei)mi i)/sqi[/face]. <br /> they both have the same form, but it's not normal to be confused as to the meaning (be! know!) ;).
phpbb
Emma_85
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Learning Greek