Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
txgreekmann
Textkit Neophyte

Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone

Post by txgreekmann »

I am curious if anyone has read the Ancient Greek "translation" of the Harry Potter book. My main question is what is the level of Greek that it is written in, could a 1st year student understand it? Or does it take a more advanced knowledge to read it?

Thanks
Dave N.

mraig
Textkit Member

Post by mraig »

I have read a bit of it. It's written to sound like Lucian. It's not too bad, but it would probably be pretty difficult for a 1st year student, because it's quite like real Greek - it's not just the English put into Greek with the same sentence structure and everything. I mean, it's not Thucydides or Aeschylus hard. But if you're looking for a first text to start with, there are better things (also keep in mind that there are no commentaries to help you with Harry Potter) - Herodotus would be my recommendation, or Homer or Plato or Xenophon or Lysias. The transition from the 1st year textbook to a "real" Greek text is tough (in my opinion) no matter what.

txgreekmann
Textkit Neophyte

Post by txgreekmann »

mraig wrote: The transition from the 1st year textbook to a "real" Greek text is tough (in my opinion) no matter what.
We aren't working through a specific text book so the prof can put whatever kind of structure that she wants in her own course. Yesterday during our review session it turns out I insulted all the Ancient Greek men and Zeus himself when I used the feminine form for a masculine noun.

Dave N.

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

mraig wrote: (also keep in mind that there are no commentaries to help you with Harry Potter)
That's not quite true: Greek Harry Potter, from the translator himself. The vocabulary list is especially useful.

I think the book would be tough going for a first year student, but I think people very motivated to read it would gain a lot from their efforts.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

mraig
Textkit Member

Post by mraig »

annis wrote:
mraig wrote: (also keep in mind that there are no commentaries to help you with Harry Potter)
That's not quite true: Greek Harry Potter, from the translator himself. The vocabulary list is especially useful.
Neat!