Textkit Logo

adjectives

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

adjectives

Postby Bert » Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:29 am

Sometimes I don't know if an adjective belongs to one noun or to more of them. Here are some examples:<br />Section 143 line 4 of Pharr; [face=SPIonic]e(khbo/loj e)poixetai prw=ton ou)rh=aj kai\ ku/naj a)rgouj[/face] <br /> Does [face=SPIonic]a)rgou/j[/face] belong to both [face=SPIonic]ou)rh=aj [/face]and [face=SPIonic]ku/naj[/face] or only to [face=SPIonic]ku/naj[/face]<br />Line 5 is similar; [face=SPIonic]o)le/kontai ou)rh=ej kai ku/nej aryoi/[/face]<br />I assume it only belongs to dogs because swift is not generaly considered a apt description for mules.<br />But how about line 1 of section 128;<br />[face=SPIonic])Apo/llwn a)/nac a)mfibe/bhke Xru/shn Ki/llan te zaqe/hn[/face]. Are both Cilla and Chrysa holy or only Cilla.<br />Thank you.<br />Bert.
Bert
Textkit Zealot

Re:adjectives

Postby klewlis » Mon Sep 01, 2003 2:12 am

I never know whether I can transfer my koine practice to here, but hopefully:<br /><br />without any other indicators such as articles and forced positioning, I think the only things we have to go on are context and immediate positioning... in the first case I would say that both context and position place the adjective with the second noun. in the second example I'm inclined to say that they are both holy... but I don't really have a reason to give for that except instinct :)
klewlis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Learning Greek