Teaching Athenaze in high schools

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
minouthecat
Textkit Neophyte

Teaching Athenaze in high schools

Post by minouthecat »

Hi everyone,

I am a professor who has to adapt her Athenaze course to a high school pace. What is the usual number of chapters covered per week at a high school?

Thank you.

Lisa

cwcoonce
Textkit Neophyte

Post by cwcoonce »

Public or private, Lisa?
What are your personal goals with this?

minouthecat
Textkit Neophyte

Reply for Athenaze in high schools

Post by minouthecat »

Well it's a tough one to answer. I am Dean of a small private online university and Professor of Latin and Greek. I created some online courses which we use at our school. Our sessions are 6 weeks and we do in 6 weeks what regular universities in Canada do in 12 weeks. I know this as I once taught these courses live in Canada.

Now comes the hard part. There is an online high school which is interested in my courses as they know that our university has some dual-enrolled students and young homeschooled students etc who do quite well. I know for a fact that 6 weeks will be too short of a time for these students and am debating whether 12 weeks will still be too short. In my courses right now we break the chapters up as follows:

course 1 chs 1-6
course 2 chs 7-14

The later chapters have not been done yet.

Thanks for your assistance.

Best wishes,

Lisa