Textkit Logo

pronunciation of chi and rho

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

pronunciation of chi and rho

Postby mingshey » Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:10 am

[face=SPIonic][size=18=12]X[/face][/size] is, in the alphabet table, said to be like german 'ch', while in the text the description is not so simple. With some of the sound samples you can find on the web, it's more like that [face=SPIonic][size=18=12]k[/face][/size] is like 'k' in 'sky' and [face=SPIonic][size=18=12]x[/face][/size] is like 'k' in 'key'. (My native tongue distinguishes them, tho' the orthography for foreign words don't allow such elaborate distinction) Okay, there're variety of pronunciations and you might really say the k's exactly the same. Then I'll take another example: that [face=SPIonic][size=18=12]k[/face][/size] is like 'c' in italian 'casa' and [face=SPIonic][size=18=12]x[/face][/size] is like 'c' in english 'case'.<br />Or is it really more closer to german 'ch'? Since modern greek sound for it is more like just 'h', this too, looks a strong argument.<br /><br />Well, another of my difficulty with greek pronunciation is [face=SPIonic][size=18=12]r[/face][/size]. I can't trill my tongue. Russian has also a trilling r, tho' some of the russians are unable to trill the tongue if you take the Space Odyssey sequel, "2010: The Year We Meet" seriously. (In the movie the russian astronaut teaches an american engineer the word for "fool", which was "durak", and he tells the american that he trills the r better than himself.), to my encouragement. 8)
mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Re:pronunciation of chi and rho

Postby Ptolemaios » Fri Aug 29, 2003 11:20 am

I think in classical Greek chi is pronounced as a an aspirated k. I'm certainly not an expert on Italian and English phonology, but this distinction (unaspirated-aspirated) seems to be the explanation for the difference between casa and case.<br />Later (but I don't exactly know when) the chi turned into a fricative (just as the theta).<br /><br />Ptolemaios
phpbb
Ptolemaios
Textkit Neophyte

Re:pronunciation of chi and rho

Postby mingshey » Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:20 pm

well, I'm no more expert of italian(or german) phonology than you are. ;D I'm just quoting from movies(from various countries) i saw before. lol. I looked more closely and in Smyth 26 the change of phonetic values through the time was explained.(Why by Zeus did I miss it before???) It suggestes that phi, chi, theta became spirants after about 300 AD.<br />and in the meantime there was the intermediate sounds like [face=SPIonic][size=18=12]pf[/face][/size], [face=SPIonic][size=18=12]tq[/face][/size], [face=SPIonic][size=18=12]kx[/face][/size].<br />Though many textbooks adopt the spirant sounds on the alphabet table, I might as well abide by the aspirated sounds so as to follow up the phonetic interactions represented in the classical greek.<br />
mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Greek