Autodidactic Greek textbooks?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Classics101
Textkit Neophyte

Autodidactic Greek textbooks?

Post by Classics101 »

I have just completed an Introductory Greek I course. First semester went very well, and I am fairly comfortable with that material covered. Second semester, however, was quite difficult.

I have had some training in Latin- an accelerated eight week summer course- which was the equivalent to four college semesters. So, for Latin, I have a working knowledge and understanding of how Latin as a language works- but I am still dearly lacking in many areas.

For Greek- I've looked into which textbooks I should use. Mastronarde's "Introduction to Attic Greek" looks exceptionally good, but also looks as if it could be a bit overwhelming at first; I've heard many mixed things about Crosby and Schaeffer, and am probably going to stay away from that; the online Greek textbooks on Texktit looked adequate, but I would like an actual book. Now, I am most bent on Mastronarde.

I used C. A. E. Luschning's Greek text for my Greek I course. It was very good in certain areas, but atrocious and terribly frustrating in other areas; and the lack of explanation for some verbs isn't helpful either.

My objective, for now, is to gain a greater appreciation of the Greek tongue, personal fulfillment and to eventually read Greek originals.

Any help, advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Feel free, also, to e-mail me at tennisdude1211@aol.com in regard to Greek or Latin textbooks.

Thank you.