good beginning Greek textbook -- recommendations?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Stoic
Textkit Neophyte

good beginning Greek textbook -- recommendations?

Post by Stoic »

I've been studying Latin for several years, and I'm beginning to think about starting ancient Greek on my own. Someone has recommended Mastronarde to me, but I'm wondering if there are differences of opinion about this.

Thanks.

annis
Textkit Zealot

Re: good beginning Greek textbook -- recommendations?

Post by annis »

Stoic wrote: Someone has recommended Mastronarde to me, but I'm wondering if there are differences of opinion about this.
To someone who has studied Latin for several years, most of the currently available textbooks should be fine. It has been a while since I've seen M.'s book, but I can recall nothing striking about it, either good or bad.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

cwcoonce
Textkit Neophyte

Post by cwcoonce »

I have had some experience with a number of text books for Ancient Greek, and I think Mastronarde is one of the very best to use. In particular, the thing that stands out is his strict adherence to learned vocabulary in the exercises he provides for each chapter. His is the only text I have found that sticks to the vocabulary in the exercises, and this is critical for a learner, I think. Further, I think his approach to the language is quite logical. Lastly, I must say that his text covers a broad range of grammar and vocabulary - more than some of the other standard texts for 1st year study. All in all, I think this is a wonderful text book for the study of Greek.

I should mention, however, that there are other approaches to the study of Greek that might also be used. I good reading book is a valuable way to either supplement one's study or provide a foundation of study for Greek. There are a number of good reading programs for beginning Greek, but the best is probably the one by the Joint Association of Classical Teachers called Reading Greek.

GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

Post by GlottalGreekGeek »

I personally had a good experience with Pharr, but then of course my goal is to become well versed in Greek verse, which may not be yours. You should also be aware of Mastronarde's online supplement, whether you use his book or not - http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~ancgreek/ ... start.html

William
Textkit Fan

Post by William »

cwcoonce wrote:I have had some experience with a number of text books for Ancient Greek, and I think Mastronarde is one of the very best to use. In particular, the thing that stands out is his strict adherence to learned vocabulary in the exercises he provides for each chapter. His is the only text I have found that sticks to the vocabulary in the exercises, and this is critical for a learner, I think. Further, I think his approach to the language is quite logical. Lastly, I must say that his text covers a broad range of grammar and vocabulary - more than some of the other standard texts for 1st year study. All in all, I think this is a wonderful text book for the study of Greek.
I would add to this the fact that the author has an answer key available as well. You may have to buy it from the publisher, but it is out there.

WB