My Grk iambic composition notes

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
chad
Textkit Zealot

My Grk iambic composition notes

Post by chad »

hi all, i've just put my Grk iambic composition notes online:

http://www.freewebs.com/mhninaeide/GrkI ... Apr-06.pdf

They contain lots of things, incl. my answers to the first exercises of Sidgwick's and Kynaston's Greek Verse Comp exercise books (along with my full annotations on how I put these together: more important than the actual answers I think), as well as summaries of various books on composition and verse localisation &c, a scanned and annotated Aeschylus Agamemnon (iambic lines) which I'm slowly typing up, and my work-in-progress iambic summary of Aristotle's Poetics.

For the Sidgwick and Kynaston exercises, I haven't gone back and improved these as I've learned more about composition. These notes are exactly as I first entered them, and so might be useful for people working on composition for the first time, to see what another beginner to comp was thinking and how they went about it. I haven't checked the answer keys, I'll do that later when I can find them.

This is just my electronic notebook for tragedy .pdf-ed, and I'll update it online now and then as I work on it. (I've taken out some things which are still works in progress, like my summary of the iambic lines of Euripides Hekabe - I just finished reading that whole tragedy a few weeks ago and have started annotating it up in my notes, but I won't put these online until they're in a more complete and useful form), cheers, chad. :)

swiftnicholas
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by swiftnicholas »

Hi chad, that's a lot of great information, and I really like page set up, and the step by step explanations for the exercises---thanks! I hope to put it to use someday.

And I'm looking forward to reading Agamemnon and Hekabe. :)

~Nick