Greek an Intensive Course like Latin an Intensive Course?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Mofmog
Textkit Neophyte

Greek an Intensive Course like Latin an Intensive Course?

Post by Mofmog »

I really liked the format of Latin: An Intensive Course. It serves my learning style well, and now that I wanna get a hand in Greek, I was wondering if its anything like Latin: An Intensive Course?

Does it have LONG readings every unit like M&F?

spiphany
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by spiphany »

I've used both books -- Hansen & Quinn for most of my initial exposure to Greek, and Moreland & Fleischer when I wanted to relearn Latin recently. The approach of both is pretty similar, so if one worked for you, you'll probably like the other one also. A few observations: Greek: An Intensive Course is quite a bit heftier than the Latin text (there's simply more grammar to cover), and the units tend to be a lot of information to swallow at one time, so it helps to break it down and not try to do a whole unit at once. Like M & F, it has extensive drills and exercises (its biggest advantage for self-study). The reading sections are not as large, but unadapted texts are introduced almost from the beginning, starting with a few lines and working up to passages of several paragraphs by the end.
IPHIGENIE: Kann uns zum Vaterland die Fremde werden?
ARKAS: Und dir ist fremd das Vaterland geworden.
IPHIGENIE: Das ist's, warum mein blutend Herz nicht heilt.
(Goethe, Iphigenie auf Tauris)

Mofmog
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Mofmog »

I know both were written for the Berkeley and CSNY intensive classics programs, just wanted to make sure there were more similarities beyond that. Thanks!