Saving Greek Unicode font on Word Pad

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
christophershelt
Textkit Neophyte

Saving Greek Unicode font on Word Pad

Post by christophershelt »

To All--
I and several other friends are members of a Greek study group that meets online once a week by means of Yahoo Messenger. Now, when all of us downloads a Unicode font, we can easily see the Greek while in conference. A problem comes up later, though, when we try to save the chat. The MS Word Pad saves the chat to my MY DOCUMENTS file (or Window), and it doesn't allow me to save the file to a MS Word doc., which I would be able to convert to Unicode, by means of a Greek keyboard and multiple fonts available on MS Word. (The drop down window on my MY DOCUMENTS file shows only: Text Files or All Files, and does not offer alternate settings.) It isn't possible to highlight and paste the chat off of the screen, it has to be SENT AS...first. I have changed the font of the MS Word Pad, but the UTF-8 coding is not possible with Word Pad, as it is with Word doc. (We have tried highlighting the text from the Word Pad and pasting that onto a Word doc., but the Unicode coding is not transferred over that way either.)
What we have had to do is communicate entirely in SPIonic (transferring all lessons to SPIonic by typing the lessons up before each conference). SPIonic is easily converted back to Greek from the Word Pad (by highlighting the Greek and then changing the font to SPIonic). Would anyone know of a way to SAVE Unicode fonts on Word Pad?

Christopher Shelton

IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Post by IreneY »

are you sure there are only these two options? (I just opened mine and I can save docs as Unicode and rich text docs).

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

Hi Chris,

I run Windows 2000.

If I type Unicode into a new Wordpad document and then choose Save or Save As, Wordpad assumes I want to save it as a .doc file. In addition I see these filetype options:

Rich Text
Text (2 flavors)
Unicode Text

I am fairly certain that you are talking not to Wordpad, but to Notepad. Can you confirm this?

Cordially,

Paul

christophershelt
Textkit Neophyte

Saving Unicode Greek on MS notepad

Post by christophershelt »

Paul--
Thank you for your help. It was a particularly difficult problem to solve (just to remind you, the issue was: how to SAVE Yahoo Messenger conference logs on MS notepad). Yahoo did not save the text with any sort of coding that I could use. Daniel Nordlund helped me out: 1) first, right click on the screen: a window opens--pop-up, really--then, choose SELECT ALL and left click on that. The entire chat is now highlighted. Secondly, rightclick on the highlighted screen a second time, the same window opens, but this time, left click on COPY. Once that is done you can open up any Word processing program you might have (MS Word, Corel Word Perfect, etc.) Go to the EDIT function, left click on it (EDIT). Look for PASTE--making sure the cursor has been fixed on the document--left click PASTE, and the document will have the entire chat, with UTF-8 encoding. I think this is good for everybody. You still have to turn on your Greek program (I use Multi-Key, but, I would suppose, Tavultesoft Keyman and Antioch would each be equally effective). Highlight the screen by choosing SELECT ALL in the EDIT function. Adjust your font window for the font you want the Greek in, and adjust the size, then left click anywhere on the screen, Voila! the Unicode--or Beta Code--shows, complete with diacriticals. The problem is, if you used SPIonic as well as a Unicode font during the chat, the SPIonic lines will have to be painstakingly highlighted and changed to SPIonic, one sentence at a time.
I just thought you might want to know this. I know you are a helpful person and I'm sure it will be passed on.

Chris