H&Q Unit 8

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
fierywrath
Textkit Neophyte

H&Q Unit 8

Post by fierywrath »

Exercise I.21 says:
e)pe/mfqhs ei)s a)gora/n, w)= ai)sxre\ r(h=tor, u(po\ tou= dh/mou kloph=s grafhso/menos.

the book says only the passive of gra/fw carries the meaning indict, but then why is a future passive participle taking the genitive of charge construction? does the passive carry the meaning indict as well or is this a mistake in the book?

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

Hi Fierywrath,

Can I get you to look closely at your last sentence? I'm seeing:

a. "the book says only the passive of gra/fw carries the meaning indict"

AND

b. "does the passive carry the meaning indict as well or is this a mistake in the book"

I suppose you meant "middle" in place of "passive" in (a)...?

At any rate, the middle form can mean "indict" and so can the passive, e.g., "to be indicted".

Cordially,

Paul

Bombichka
Textkit Neophyte

Re: H&Q Unit 8

Post by Bombichka »

fierywrath wrote:Exercise I.21 says:
e)pe/mfqhs ei)s a)gora/n, w)= ai)sxre\ r(h=tor, u(po\ tou= dh/mou kloph=s grafhso/menos.

the book says only the passive of gra/fw carries the meaning indict, but then why is a future passive participle taking the genitive of charge construction? does the passive carry the meaning indict as well or is this a mistake in the book?
I think, as Paul above, that the passive voice fits well into the context of the sentence.

I propose the following translation:

you were sent, o immoral orator, by the people (i.e. the Assembly) to the agora in order to be charged for larceny

ximo
Textkit Neophyte

about graphhsomenos

Post by ximo »

I think upo tou dhmou is an agent. "In order to be charged by the people...". Graphesomenos is future in middle voice. The letter eta after the -ph- appears in some intransitive forms.