Athenaze: differences between first and second editions

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
tico
Textkit Member

Athenaze: differences between first and second editions

Post by tico »

I just would like to know which are the differences between Athenaze's first and second editions. Do they have the same texts? What really changes form one edition to another?
What do you thing of Athenaze second edition? Is this a good course for someone who wants to be fluent in reading greek?

TIA

tico
Textkit Member

Post by tico »

Does anybody know it?

screamadelica
Textkit Neophyte

Post by screamadelica »

I don't have the first edition, but I do have the teacher's manual which is based on it. From what I remember, the content is exactly the same with minimal rearrangement, and a few vocabulary words are altered or substituted.

There isn't much change, though, because the teacher's manual gave the right answers to a good 80% of the exercises. The second edition adds some exercises as well (I went to check my answers and they weren't in there).

For your other question, see the other thread. :D

tico
Textkit Member

Post by tico »

screamadelica wrote:For your other question, see the other thread. :D
That's funny! :D

Concerning the teacher's manual, do you know if there's one for the second edition too? I can't find it on Amazon and I wonder where I could buy this manual for the second edition (if it exists).

Thanks.

screamadelica
Textkit Neophyte

Post by screamadelica »

Unfortuntately, the first-edition teacher's manual is the only one available. The cover photographs are up-to-date, but some of the exercises aren't. But again, the difference between the editions is minimal so you're probably well off with it anyway. Just be aware that a couple of the words are switched around (lemme think... I THINK there's an adjective "rhathymos", or ῥάθυμος, ον in the first edition's chapter 2, which translates to "careless" or something like that. The second edition replaces this word with ἀ?γός, όν, which it translates as "lazy" (the exact words might be wrong because it's been some months). There are little substitutions like that in there that can throw off your answers, but it's a very minor annoyance.

Oh, and your word order will be totally, disastrously wrong in the English-to-Greek answer keys at first. Don't sweat it too much.