Digamma--where?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Talmid
Textkit Member

Digamma--where?

Post by Talmid »

Okay, the only place where I have ever seen a digamma is in the grammar books! I can't find it in Homer, not in Hesiod, inscriptions, anywhere!!

Can somebody please point me to a digamma in a real piece of literature, inscription, a picture, etc.?

Seeing is believing, and I'd really like to see one for myself.

Thanks.

chad
Textkit Zealot

Post by chad »

hi, if you're happy to go to the library, you'll see heaps in books on greek inscriptions or papyrology, although less in the papyrology ones as papyri don't go back as far as inscriptions.

i have "homer and the origin of the greek alphabet" by powell 1991 here, there are pics of inscriptions with digamma in the "Greek inscriptions to 650BC" section on e.g. p133, 143, &c.

I think I remember the 1st volume of the P. Oxy. series has a sappho papyrus facsimile showing a digamma. I can't check that now though.

but they're definitely out there if that's the gist of your qn. you could probably find an e.g. pretty quickly on the net if you didn't want to check the actual books. :)