Where to start with Koine?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
rimwalker
Textkit Neophyte

Where to start with Koine?

Post by rimwalker »

[face=Verdana]Hello,

I'm 13 and I want to read biblical Greek. I already know how hard learning another language is because of Japanese. I reached Kanji (AKA hell) and thought about where I was ever going to use Japanese in my life. Soon after, I quit Japanese and thought about Hebrew, Latin, and Greek.

Now because of my religion, I'm going to learn Hebrew and Greek. I heard Greek is much easier to learn so I though I should start out with it. (Despite the old testament being written in Hebrew.)

I'm not looking for something simple. Just thurough with accents, rules, grammer, and vocabulary. What book should I start with?

(I'm studying independantly.)
[/face]
Last edited by rimwalker on Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

Post by GlottalGreekGeek »

(Wow, somebody younger than me)

The people who should really answer your question are Kopio and Paul. The most popular book is Mounce's "Basics of Bliblical Greek", but I have never even touched it, so I can't vouch personally for its merit. Other people like Machen's book.

If you want to dip your toes in the water before taking a full plunge in Koine, perhaps you want to see this site which presents introductory NT Greek

http://www.utexas.edu/cola/depts/lrc/ei ... l-0-X.html

It takes you through excerpts from the NT while explaining the grammar.

rimwalker
Textkit Neophyte

Post by rimwalker »

[face=Verdana]I'm thinking about buying (or my parents buying) New Testament Greek for Beginners. However, I am concerned about even more in the future, when I need to learn Hebrew. If anyone knows a good solution, PM me please.[/face]

JulianJ
Textkit Neophyte

Post by JulianJ »

I am using Mounce's book for self-study and I have found it to be fairly decent. I would strongly suggest that you also get the workbook (and download the answers) as Mounce contains very few examples and what he is teaching. He puts a lot of knowledge into your head but doesn't spend much time showing how it is used, hence the workbook.

Julian