Flashcards & Unicode

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
tbjohnston
Textkit Neophyte

Flashcards & Unicode

Post by tbjohnston »

Has anyone else found good success with a flashcard program for vocabulary memorization?

My requirements include the ability to use handle Unicode - I'm entering words using Tavultesoft Keyman 6.2 and the Greek Classical keyboard. I'm aware that other folks use different IME's, etc., but I've gotten pretty quick at this entry. SPIonic would be OK too.

The Stackz program from Mindgate seems to be fairly reasonable, and I'm giving it a shot under the eval license.

My workflow is:
- Enter the vocabulary (4 columns: greek word, english definition, part of speech & section from Pharr) into MS Word.
- Convert to text format (Unicode encoding)
- Import into Stackz

A few notes: I haven't figured out if it is possible to combine an accent and a macron - for example how to show that an upsilon, iota or alpha is both long and accented (with an acute or grave accent).

Comments appreciated. Thanks.

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

Hi,

My Ancient Greek Text Manager program allows you to create flashcards (on screen, not on paper) from vocabulary files.

I do not support a distinct morphology field. You'd have to enter that as part of the definition.

You can enter Greek words in Unicode with Keyman, or in Betacode. Betacode gets converted to Unicode automatically.

The vocabulary tool is also able to rip words and their definitions automatically from an AGTM text. That is, you can pull a line of words from a text, automatically add them to vocab, and obtain their definitions.

AGTM is free, but requires IE 6.

Cordially,

Paul

Kat Doe
Textkit Neophyte

teach2000

Post by Kat Doe »

So far this is the best I've found.

http://www.teach2000.nl/international.php