Third Declension Nouns!!!

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
SeanS.
Textkit Neophyte

Third Declension Nouns!!!

Post by SeanS. »

Hi all,
I am a first year Greek student, and I was wandering if any had any good resources to help with Third declension nouns? (Koine Greek)
Also, resources for the Greek adjectives would be helpful as well. I have done a decnt job so far, but the adjectives hurt.
Sean

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

What parts in particular are you having difficulty with? As it stands, your question is kind of vast.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Well, I take it you have a grammar with them all in? It might help if you write all the various adjective declinations out next to each other and compare them if they are not together in your book. When you learn a new word, noun or adjective, you must learn the genitive of the word along with it, then you'll always know which declination the word has. You should try and learn them all off by heart - in time you'll most likely forget them, but if you learn them thoroughly first time, then you shouldn't have any difficultly recognising a form in the text.

SeanS.
Textkit Neophyte

Post by SeanS. »

Emma_85 wrote:Well, I take it you have a grammar with them all in? It might help if you write all the various adjective declinations out next to each other and compare them if they are not together in your book. When you learn a new word, noun or adjective, you must learn the genitive of the word along with it, then you'll always know which declination the word has. You should try and learn them all off by heart - in time you'll most likely forget them, but if you learn them thoroughly first time, then you shouldn't have any difficultly recognising a form in the text.
Excellent tips! Parsing is a weak point for me at the moment, but as I continue it is becoming clear.

Annis,
As of Last night everything is becoming clear.