Textkit Logo

Aesopica

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Aesopica

Postby adz000 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:48 pm

I've been skipping around the Loeb Baebrius & Phaedrus (ed. Perry) which is an ornament to the series: it contains an excellent introduction to the entire tradition of fable writing and a 100+ pg. appendix titled "An Analytical Survey of Greek & Latin Fables in the Aesopic Tradition" that gives a summary and references for nearly every fable that has come down to us in Greek or Latin. Anyways, as a fun exercise I thought that I would take advantage of the indexes and set side by side the Aesopic "original", Baebrius' poetic interpretation, and Phaedrus' refashioning, where all three could be found for one story. It's an interesting opportunity to see Greek prose turn into Greek poetry and then compare it with Latin versification; I'd love to hear your comments.

"Dog Crossing a River"
Aesop, #233
[face=SPIonic]ku/wn kre/aj e)/xousa potamo\n die/baine: qeasame/nh de\ th\n e(auth=j skia\n kata\ tou= u(/datoj u(pe/laben e(te/ran ku/na ei)=nai mei=zon kre/aj e)/xousan. dio/per a)fei=sa to\ i)/dion w(/rmhsen w(j to\ e)kei/nhj a)fairhsame/nh. sune/bh de\ au)th=| a)mfote/rwn sterhqh=nai, tou= me\n mh\ e)fikome/nh|, dio/ti ou)de\ h)=n, tou= d', o(/ti u(po\ tou= potamou= paresu/rh.[/face]

Baebrius, 79
[face=SPIonic]kre/aj ku/wn e)/kleyen e)k mageirei/ou
kai\ dh\ pah|/ei potamo\n: e)n de\ tw=| r(ei/qrw|
po/lu tou= kre/wj i)dou=sa th\n skih\n mei/zw,
to\ kre/aj a)fh=ke, th=| skih=| d' e)fwrmh/qh:
a)ll' ou)t e)kei/nhn eu(=ren ou)/q' o(\ beblh/kei,
peinw=sa d' o)pi/sw to\n po/ron diech|/ei.
bi/oj a)be/baioj panto\j a)ndro\j a)plh/stou
e)lpi/si matai/aij pragma/twn a)nalou=tai.
[/face]
(Perry athetizes the last two lines as a later interpolation)

Phaedrus, I.4
Amittit merito proprium qui alienum adpetit.
Canis per flumen carnem cum ferret, natans
lympharum in speculo vidit simulacrum suum,
aliamque praedam ab altero ferri putans
eripere voluit; verum decepta aviditas
et quem tenebat ore dimisit cibum,
nec quem petebat adeo potuit tangere.
adz000
Textkit Member

Return to Learning Greek