Key to Greek Ollendorff. Please help!

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Key to Greek Ollendorff. Please help!

Post by bedwere »

Bedell wrote:How would Greek Ollendorf be as a gentle introduction toward reading Aristotle? I'm guessing that both are in Attic, but Greek is definitely not an area in which I have much useful knowledge.
I am partial to it, of course, but I think it is a very useful introduction to ancient Greek in general, no matter what you plan to read.

If you wish to read Aristotle, you may consider these Greek commentaries:

Commentaria in Aristotelem graeca.

RandyGibbons
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by RandyGibbons »

For me, the Greek Ollendorff, with its methodical and extremely simple progression, was a perfect vehicle for recording and then listening, as an autodidact's way of complementing grammar study with the development of some natural feeling for the language. I wouldn't recommend the Ollendorff as one's sole or first general introduction to (yes, Attic) Greek - there's too many excellent and much more contemporary resources for that.

As for a "gentle introduction toward reading Aristotle [in Greek]," there's no such thing. In addition to the complexity of its subject matter, the style of Aristotle's works is generally that of classroom notes, highly abbreviated and full of shortcuts. I'm no expert, but decades ago as a classics PhD student I took a graduate seminar on Aristotle that was focused on his compositional style, and I remember it took considerable effort to begin getting comfortable with it.

If your goal is to read Aristotle in Greek with some facility, I suggest you need several years of preparation, learning (Attic) Greek in any of the standard ways and then reading other more "connected" prose first (Xenophon, the "early" dialogs of Plato, some Thucydides, maybe some of the Attic orators, ...).

Randy Gibbons

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Markos »

Bedell wrote:How would Greek Ollendorf be as a gentle introduction toward reading Aristotle? I'm guessing that both are in Attic, but Greek is definitely not an area in which I have much useful knowledge.
It would be wonderful because we have two wonderful audio companions which are freely available:

https://archive.org/details/GreekOllendorff96

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v99kn4b0jht4vcy/dKRQeLWj3Y

But Randy is correct that you would still have lots of additional work you would need to do before you could comfortably read Aristotle. But it's a start, and you could listen to the audios while commuting to work.

daivid
Administrator

Post by daivid »

bedwere wrote:TWENTY-SEVENTH LESSON.

104.I. p. 103

This house. - This high house. - These
beautiful houses have porches and hearths.
- This hill is high. - This hill
is not so high, as that near the
river. - Whence do these good men come?
- They come from the village in the plain. - Who
are in these beautiful gardens? - These
beautiful maidens are here. - That is this? -.
I would have expected "What is this?" for "Τί ἐστι τοῦτο;"
λονδον

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

daivid wrote:
bedwere wrote:TWENTY-SEVENTH LESSON.

104.I. p. 103

This house. - This high house. - These
beautiful houses have porches and hearths.
- This hill is high. - This hill
is not so high, as that near the
river. - Whence do these good men come?
- They come from the village in the plain. - Who
are in these beautiful gardens? - These
beautiful maidens are here. - That is this? -.
I would have expected "What is this?" for "Τί ἐστι τοῦτο;"
And rightly so! What a silly error. It shall be fixed by close of business today. :D

Διώθωκα τὸ σφάλμα μου. :oops:

daivid
Administrator

Post by daivid »

The missing Exercise 107
The downloadable version of Ollendorff has two pages missing. Partly as an exercise I decided to type up the Greek exercise and am posting it in the hope that others may find it useful. (I have rechecked it for typos though I suspect that I may have missed a few. :( )

πόσος χρόνος; Τοσοῦτος χρόνος. ἐν τοσούτῳ χρόνῳ. ὑμῖν οὐκ ἔστι τοσοῦτος χρόνος ὅσος ἡμῖν. πόσον οἶνον ἔχετε; οὐ τοσοῦτον ἔχομεν οἶνον οἱ φίλοι ἡμῶν. πόσοι νεανίαι εἰσὶν ἐν τῷ κήπῳ; οὐ τοσοῦτοι ὅσους ὁρῶ ἐπὶ τοῦ λόφου. οὐκ ἐκεῖ τοσοῦτοι νεανίαι εἰσιν, ὅσα ῥόδα. τὰ ἐν τῷ κήπῳ ῥόδα οὐ τοσαῦτά ἐστιν ὅσα τὰ ἐν τοῖς ἀγροῖς. ὁ παῖς οὐκ ἔχει τοσαύτας ἀργυρᾶς σφαίρας ὅσας ἐγώ. οὐ τοσούτους λαγὼς λαμβάνει ὅσους σκιούρους. ποῖον οἶνος ἔχετε; οὐ τοιοῦτον οἶνον ἔχομεν οἶον ὑμεῖς. ὁ ἐργάτης οὐ τοιοῦτον οἶνον πίνει οἶον πλούσιος ἔμπορος. πηλίκα ἐστὶ ταῦτα τὰ κακά; τὰ ἐμὰ κακὰ οὐ τηλικαῦτα ἐστιν ἡλίκα τὰ σά. πηλίκος ἐστὶν ὁ νεανίας; οὐ τηλικοῦτος ἐστιν ἡλίκος ὁ ἀδελφάς μου. οὐχ ὁρῶ τοσαύτην σοφίαν ἐν τῷ διδασκάλῳ τούτῳ ὅσην ἐν τῷ μαθητῇ. αὕτη ἡ σοφία.
λονδον

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Daivid, you can get it from the Google Books version.
daivid wrote:The missing Exercise 107
The downloadable version of Ollendorff has two pages missing. Partly as an exercise I decided to type up the Greek exercise and am posting it in the hope that others may find it useful. (I have rechecked it for typos though I suspect that I may have missed a few. :( )

πόσος χρόνος; Τοσοῦτος χρόνος. ἐν τοσούτῳ χρόνῳ. ὑμῖν οὐκ ἔστι τοσοῦτος χρόνος ὅσος ἡμῖν. πόσον οἶνον ἔχετε; οὐ τοσοῦτον ἔχομεν οἶνον οἱ φίλοι ἡμῶν. πόσοι νεανίαι εἰσὶν ἐν τῷ κήπῳ; οὐ τοσοῦτοι ὅσους ὁρῶ ἐπὶ τοῦ λόφου. οὐκ ἐκεῖ τοσοῦτοι νεανίαι εἰσιν, ὅσα ῥόδα. τὰ ἐν τῷ κήπῳ ῥόδα οὐ τοσαῦτά ἐστιν ὅσα τὰ ἐν τοῖς ἀγροῖς. ὁ παῖς οὐκ ἔχει τοσαύτας ἀργυρᾶς σφαίρας ὅσας ἐγώ. οὐ τοσούτους λαγὼς λαμβάνει ὅσους σκιούρους. ποῖον οἶνος ἔχετε; οὐ τοιοῦτον οἶνον ἔχομεν οἶον ὑμεῖς. ὁ ἐργάτης οὐ τοιοῦτον οἶνον πίνει οἶον πλούσιος ἔμπορος. πηλίκα ἐστὶ ταῦτα τὰ κακά; τὰ ἐμὰ κακὰ οὐ τηλικαῦτα ἐστιν ἡλίκα τὰ σά. πηλίκος ἐστὶν ὁ νεανίας; οὐ τηλικοῦτος ἐστιν ἡλίκος ὁ ἀδελφάς μου. οὐχ ὁρῶ τοσαύτην σοφίαν ἐν τῷ διδασκάλῳ τούτῳ ὅσην ἐν τῷ μαθητῇ. αὕτη ἡ σοφία.

daivid
Administrator

Post by daivid »

bedwere wrote:Daivid, you can get it from the Google Books version.
The downloadable version of Ollendorff has two pages missing.
True but it is not downloadable. (If there is a way to download stuff from Google Books please let me know.) I find using Google Books online awkward and the benefit of those who are like me, I posted a version that can be cut and pasted.
λονδον

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

daivid wrote:
bedwere wrote:Daivid, you can get it from the Google Books version.
The downloadable version of Ollendorff has two pages missing.
True but it is not downloadable. (If there is a way to download stuff from Google Books please let me know.) I find using Google Books online awkward and the benefit of those who are like me, I posted a version that can be cut and pasted.
Just click on the cog on the top right and select "Download PDF"

daivid
Administrator

Post by daivid »

bedwere wrote:
daivid wrote: (If there is a way to download stuff from Google Books please let me know.) .
Just click on the cog on the top right and select "Download PDF"
Having not seen a way to do that first time I stopped looking. You have my undying grattitude for that tip.

On the page with the key to that exercise you warn people that the two pages are missing from the Internet Archive. It might be useful to mention that the Google version is complete on that post.
λονδον

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

davidhan wrote:Here is the topic I'm interested.
I am super impressed that you did all this work (and also extremely grateful!).
I am wondering if I missed something or if Lesson 33 is simply not there.
I checked the book, and there are exercises....
Hi, Davidhan,

Lessons 32 and 33 are in the same post. Probably that's why you missed it. You may want to download the free pdf or buy the printed edition on Lulu.

daivid
Administrator

Post by daivid »

Possibly one like got dropped out of the key:
On page 158 between - Ὁ πατὴρ πέμψει πρὸς τὸν ἰατρὸν διὰ
τοῦ υἱοῦ. and - Οὐ διὰ τοῦ τοῦ ἐμπόρου υἱοῦ, ἀλλὰ τοῦ διδασκάλου. there is the phrase Not through his own son but mine.

Something like οὐ διὰ ἑαυτοῦ υἱοῦ ἀλλὰ διὰ τοῦ ἐμοῦ perhaps?

EDIT
Also shouldn't Εὑρήσω τὰν χλαῖνάν μου ἢ πρὸ τῆς θύρας, ἢ ἐπὶ τῆς τραπέζης, ἢ ἐν τῷ χρυσῷ κανῷ. have τῇ χρυσῇ χηλῷ at the end?

Once again thanks for doing the key. Even though I am doing stuff that should be revision the key allows me to spot places where I hadn't quite got it.
λονδον

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Many thanks for spotting my mistakes. I corrected them here and also in the lulu version.

daivid
Administrator

Post by daivid »

bedwere wrote:FORTY-FIRST LESSON.

156.II. p. 158

Ὁ ποιμήν. - Οὗτος ὁ ποιμήν. - Οὗτος ὁ ἀγαθὸς
ποιμήν. - Οὗτοι οἱ αὐτοὶ ποιμένες. - Λέγομεν περὶ
τούτων τῶν ποιμένων. - Ὁρῶ ποιμένας ἐν τῃ νομῇ. -
Οἱ ποιμένες μένουσιν πολλοὺς μῆνας ἐν τῷ ἀγρῷ. .
But in the exercise it has for the last sentence:
The shepherd remains many months in the field.
And thanks again for providing the key
λονδον

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Thank you for spotting it! It's fixed now.

metrodorus
Textkit Fan

Post by metrodorus »

Hi Bedwere - the pdf link on archive.org is now dead - it says 'there is a problem with the content'
I run http://latinum.org.uk which provides the Adler Audio Latin Course, other audio materials, and additional free materials on YouTube.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

I contacted archive.org to know what is going on. In the mean time, you can find it here.

[removed]

I'll remove this once the problem is fixed.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

The good folks at archive.org have fixed the problem. Now the key is live again:
https://archive.org/details/Bedwere_Key

donhamiltontx
Textkit Member

Post by donhamiltontx »

This project looks to be finished. Thanks for your hard work preparing these very useful materials.