Textkit Logo

Just curious

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Just curious

Postby Bert » Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:24 am

I am trying to read Greek without translating the words in my head. It is going okay, untill I get to a sentence like line 26 of the Iliad. Even knowing the meaning, I cannot read this line from left to right without analyzing which word belongs to which. The object of the preposition before the preposition, [face=SPIonic]e)gw\[/face] between and adjective and its noun, the object of the sentence right at the beginning. I am curious if you seasoned Greek students (or shall I say, Greek scholars) can read this line and know what it means without having to go back and analyze it to death.
Bert
Textkit Zealot

Re:Just curious

Postby annis » Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:30 am

[quote author=Bert de Haan link=board=2;threadid=399;start=0#3081 date=1060305857]<br />I am curious if you seasoned Greek students (or shall I say, Greek scholars) can read this line and know what it means without having to go back and analyze it to death.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Yes. But not when I saw it first. Or even fourth or fifth. :)<br /><br />--<br />wm,<br />still a student
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;
annis
Textkit Zealot

Postby Ptolemaios » Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:10 am

I just tried, and it worked out pretty nicely; but then I realised I had read already before (four years ago). I can't remember if I could read it without analyzing it the first time I saw this line.<br /><br />One important point in reading without analyzing is how fast one can read: when one doesn't have to consciously analyze e.g. [face=SPIonic]koilhisi[/face] as Dat.Pl.F., reading speed is much higher; then the connection with the [face=SPIonic]nhusi[/face] follows more easily, because the time between reading the words is shorter.<br /><br />Ptolemaios
Ptolemaios
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Bert » Sat Aug 09, 2003 4:25 pm

Thank you. Maybe a year or two from now, when I am a little more comfortable with the language, I'll be able to do it as well.
Bert
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Greek