Want some help .....

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
darkman
Textkit Neophyte

Want some help .....

Post by darkman »

Hi friends ... i'm a new member here ... :lol: and it's my honour being here in this great forum indeed ....

well, i'm just writing this post to ask for your advices if possible ..
actually i plan to learn Greek/Ancient Greek/ Latin ...
The question that always confuses me is that ... :
what are the differences between Greek and Latin languages ????
and how can i begin studying such a difficult language as a beginner .

wish to find some helpful books (E-books) for Latin/Greek/Ancient Greek languages for beginners ...... :roll:

thanks soooooo much ......

darkman
Textkit Neophyte

?????????

Post by darkman »

Hi there ,,,, sounds nobody knows , Oops ... thanks anyways :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Re: Want some help .....

Post by Bert »

darkman wrote:Hi friends ... i'm a new member here ... :lol: and it's my honour being here in this great forum indeed ....

well, i'm just writing this post to ask for your advices if possible ..
actually i plan to learn Greek/Ancient Greek/ Latin ...
The question that always confuses me is that ... :
what are the differences between Greek and Latin languages ????
and how can i begin studying such a difficult language as a beginner .

wish to find some helpful books (E-books) for Latin/Greek/Ancient Greek languages for beginners ...... :roll:

thanks soooooo much ......
I am sure some one knows better than I do but some of those who know both Latin and Greek have not replied yet.
I don't know Latin, but it has the same Alphabet as English. That would be an advantage, but it does not take all that long to get used to the Greek Alphabet.
I am guessing that Latin vocabulary might be a bit easier than Greek because there are more English words derived from Latin.

As to your question how to begin studying one of these languages as a beginner. Except for native speakers, we all started as beginners :wink: .
Pick a beginners grammar and dig in.

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

Hi Darkman,

Latin and Greek have similar grammars, but their vocabularies share few words. They are not particularly closely related, I think.

As for where to start, pick a dialect and download a textbook. :)

darkman
Textkit Neophyte

thanks

Post by darkman »

Thanks soooooooooooo much Bert & Eureka for you help ........
your replies is sooo useful & helpful to me ....... thanks again and i appreciate..... .

My Best
:lol: :roll:

1%homeless
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by 1%homeless »

but their vocabularies share few words
I have to disagree with this. It's not that sparse. I've been working on my etymology 1400 Latin word list and I would say that it's possible to connect about 20 to 30 percent latin vocabulary with greek -perhaps even 40 percent. Latin directly borrowed quite a few greek words. Those are easy to recognize, but many genetically related words (that aren't borrowed) can still be recognized even with little or no historical linguistics training.

I suppose basing my assumptions on heavily used words might skew the ratio a bit, but the most frequent words are the ones that are worth memorizing anyways...