Accents in the declinsion

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Asterix
Textkit Neophyte

Accents in the declinsion

Post by Asterix »

Hello

I'm currently studying Greek and have slowly but gradually progress. But I haven't really understood why accents change. Has anyone a step by step explination of the accents in the a-declinsion? I can't follow the explanitations of the manual.

Thanks

Timotheus
Textkit Member

Post by Timotheus »

what text are you using?

HenryClay
Textkit Neophyte

Post by HenryClay »

Well, it depends on where the accent falls to begin with. Basically:

Accents are persistent. That is, they tend to remain on the same syllable and follow the normal rules. So a disyllabic word like cho/ra^, the acute accent will persist on the penultimate syllable throughout.

In the a-declension, the only weirdness is that the genetive plural always recieves a circumflex. The reason for that is because historically, the o^n ending is actually contracted.

If the word accents the final syllable, the word will recieve a circumflex on the genetive and singular both singular and plural.

Just remember that in a trisyllabic word like thalatta, in which the first syllable is accented. When the inflection makes the final syllable long, like in the genetive singular, the accent will have to move to the second syllable.

I hope this helps.

Asterix
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Asterix »

I'm studying with First Greek Book from JWW.

I would like to ask for a step by step explination of the accents of the words in leson 8 and 9, I mean the o - declinsion.

Thank you for yor help, I can only apreciate it.

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

HenryClay wrote: So a disyllabic word like cho/ra^, the acute accent will persist on the penultimate syllable throughout.
Alas, alas, it is so, yes, except in the plural nominative that is χῶραι because this particular ending ‐αι is unfortunaletly short, and, when the accent has to stand on a long penult, it will change automatically into a circumflex when the ultima is short...

Clemens
Textkit Member

Post by Clemens »

Ok, some basic rules:

The acute can stand over the last three syllables of a word: the antepenult, the penult, and the ultima. It can only stand over the antepenult if the ultima is short. It can stand over long and short syllables

The circumflex can stand over the last two syllables of a word but only over long syllables (by nature) and over diphthongs. It can only stand over the penult if the ultima is short.

The grave replaces the accute over the last syllable of a word if it is followed by another word.

There are also some rules regarding the accents with the o-Declension:

An acute over the penult does not change throughout declension.

An acute standing over the antepenult of the nominative case moves to the penult if the ultima is lengthened (gen, dat sg; gen, dat, acc, pl.).

An acute over the ultima of the nominative case follows the accentuation of the article (ὁ, τοῦ, τῷ, τόν etc.)

A circumflex over the penult turns into an acute if the ultima is lengthened.

Now look at the paradigms in JWW and try to find out which rules caused the changes in the examples given...
:wink:

Maybe it helps a little...

Clemens