Textkit Logo

A question about which Greek grammar text to use

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

A question about which Greek grammar text to use

Postby elrond32 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:21 pm

Hi all,
I have a question about the relative merits of various Greek grammars in terms of their usefulness to the beginning student. I notice that the Smyth grammar is available here on textkit and that it is referenced various times on other threads. When I began my study of Greek, my professor recommended Goodwin's Greek Grammar, which I now own. Now that I am working on refreshing my Greek and studying on my own, I refer to Goodwin's grammar often. If anyone could give me an analysis of the pros and cons of Goodwin's grammar versus that of Smyth I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance for the help.
elrond32
Textkit Neophyte

Re: A question about which Greek grammar text to use

Postby annis » Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:07 am

elrond32 wrote:If anyone could give me an analysis of the pros and cons of Goodwin's grammar versus that of Smyth I would appreciate it.

Smyth is simply longer, a bit more detailed. Goodwin has that metrical appendix, but that's nearly useless. I used only Goodwin for years. Now I usually use Smyth, but that's because I adore fussy details.

Are you concerned about something in particular? I sometimes check both grammars when I really don't understand something, and I've never seen the two disagree. I can't imagine any problems using Goodwin unless you're reading a very unusual author, and all the grammars trip a bit in such situations.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;
annis
Textkit Zealot

Postby elrond32 » Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:02 am

Thank you, William.
I wasn't concerned about any specific grammatical point in particular, only a comparison of the relative merits of the two grammars for a beginning learner. From what you've said it seems that Goodwin will be more than sufficient for my purposes for quite a long while. Thanks again for your response.
elrond32
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Greek