Textkit Logo

A question about which Greek grammar text to use

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.

A question about which Greek grammar text to use

Postby elrond32 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:21 pm

Hi all,
I have a question about the relative merits of various Greek grammars in terms of their usefulness to the beginning student. I notice that the Smyth grammar is available here on textkit and that it is referenced various times on other threads. When I began my study of Greek, my professor recommended Goodwin's Greek Grammar, which I now own. Now that I am working on refreshing my Greek and studying on my own, I refer to Goodwin's grammar often. If anyone could give me an analysis of the pros and cons of Goodwin's grammar versus that of Smyth I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance for the help.
elrond32
Textkit Neophyte

Re: A question about which Greek grammar text to use

Postby annis » Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:07 am

elrond32 wrote:If anyone could give me an analysis of the pros and cons of Goodwin's grammar versus that of Smyth I would appreciate it.

Smyth is simply longer, a bit more detailed. Goodwin has that metrical appendix, but that's nearly useless. I used only Goodwin for years. Now I usually use Smyth, but that's because I adore fussy details.

Are you concerned about something in particular? I sometimes check both grammars when I really don't understand something, and I've never seen the two disagree. I can't imagine any problems using Goodwin unless you're reading a very unusual author, and all the grammars trip a bit in such situations.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;
annis
Textkit Zealot

Postby elrond32 » Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:02 am

Thank you, William.
I wasn't concerned about any specific grammatical point in particular, only a comparison of the relative merits of the two grammars for a beginning learner. From what you've said it seems that Goodwin will be more than sufficient for my purposes for quite a long while. Thanks again for your response.
elrond32
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Greek