H&Q 12 English to Greek

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

H&Q 12 English to Greek

Post by bingley »

Can someone look over these English to Greek sentences, please? The topics for this unit are:
a. Present and imperfect of –mi verbs
b. Fear clauses

1. When we heard the messenger in the assembly, we feared that the hoplites would not lead the women down to the sea.
ὁ/τε δὲ τὸν ἄγγελον ἠκούσαμεν ἐν τῇ ἐκκλησίᾳ τότε ἐφοβήθημεν μὴ οἱ ὁπλίται τὰς γυναῖκας πρὸς θάλασσαν οὐ καταγόγοιεν.

2. Do not fear that the gods will not always give sufficient things to men.
μὴ φοβεῖσθε μὴ οἱ θεοὶ τοῦς ἀνθρώπους ἱκανὰ οὐκ ἀεὶ διδῶσιν.

3. I am afraid that the bad king always made unjust laws somehow for the men in the cities.
φοβοῦμαι μὴ ὁ βασιλεὺς ὁ κακὸς τοὺς ἀδὶκους νόμους πως τοῖς ἀνθρώποις τοὶς ἐν ταῖς πολέσι ἀεὶ ἐτίθεσαν.

4. Let the men in the market place somehow give either gold or silver to the soldiers whom we are causing to revolt.
δόντων πως οἱ ἀνθρώποι οἱ ἐν τῇ ἀγορᾷ ἢ χρουσὸν ἢ ἄργυρον τοῖς στρατιώτοις οὑ\ς ἀφίσταμεν.

5. Let us always put books in the house of the public speaker in order that he may teach his brother the epic poetry composed by Homer.
ἀεὶτιθῶμεν ἐν τῇ τοῦ ῥήτορος οίκιᾷ βιβλία ἵνα τα τῷ ὁμήρῳ πεποιημένα ἔπη τὸν φρατέρα παιδεύῃ.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

I'd make it "...μη ὀυ..." in the first and second sentence, I wouldn't seperate the two, but well, I suppose it doesn't really make much difference as there isn't a strict word order you have to obay really, only that μη ὀυ belongs together I think normally. Of course it may just be a case of style :? ...
In sentence 4 I'm not too sure what you're doing with δοντων :? - where is your predicate?
5. sentence... well, I'd make it 'his' brother by adding the possessive pronoun, don't be lazy and just use the article :wink: . Great translations though! :D

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

Thanks for looking them over, Emma.
Emma_85 wrote:
In sentence 4 I'm not too sure what you're doing with δοντων :? - where is your predicate?
I was aiming for a 3rd person plural aorist imperative. Did I miss?

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Oh... a 3rd person pl imperative... i see now!
I was expecting a conjunctive as an adhortative. You can't really use the 3rd person pl imperative here though as 'us' is 1st person pl not 3rd :P , you've got to use the conjunctive.

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

But the English was "Let the men in the market place give", not "Let us give"

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

bingley wrote:But the English was "Let the men in the market place give", not "Let us give"
argh, sorry, i slipped a line! I was looking at 'Let us always...' :oops: :oops: :oops:

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: H&Q 12 English to Greek

Post by Skylax »

Hello, Bingley !

Jumping onto the bandwagon, I will say firstly that I agree with Emma (How could I disagree :) ) ! Now some more comments, as usual :

1. -"messenger" I think this noun referring to a person should be in the genitive after ἀκούω
-"hoplites" : plur. nom. is properispomen ὁπλῖται
-"the sea" : I would put an article in Greek too.
- καταγάγοιεν :)

2. - "to men" : dative, I think, after -δίδωμι - btw your present subjunctive is nicely accented !

3. - "unjust laws" : why an article in Greek ?
- "always... somehow" : I would write ἀεί πως.
- πόλεσι accent on the omicron

4. - χρυσὸν :)
- στρατιώταις 1st decl.

5. "brother" : say ἀδελφὸν
"teach" : I would write διδάσκῃ

Best regards,
S.

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

Thanks Skylax.

The book uses παιδευω for its paradigms instead of λυω, so I tend to forget about διδασκω.