rice wine

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
mingshey
Textkit Zealot

rice wine

Post by mingshey »

In an idle search for the etymology of the word 'rice'--at first I tried to find it in an Anglo-saxon dictionary-- I was led to LSJ entry ὄρυζα. And a reference utters οἴνος ἐξ ὀρύζης, Ael. NA13.8

Anybody know what this abbreviation points to, or what the material talks about the rice wine, whether it is a soju(distilled) or makguli(raw)?

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

Hi Mingshey,

The author is Aelianus. The work is De Natura Animalium.

Cordially,

Paul

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Thanks, Paul! :D

I found out a quote in http://www.slowfood.com/img_sito/rivist ... angjiu.pdf :
‘The elephant from a herd which has been tamed drinks water, but the fighting elephant drinks wine, but not wine made from grapes, because they [the Indians: editor’s note] make it from both rice and bamboo canes’.

Well, it doesn't specify the details.

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

mingshey wrote: ‘The elephant from a herd which has been tamed drinks water, but the fighting elephant drinks wine, but not wine made from grapes, because they [the Indians: editor’s note] make it from both rice and bamboo canes’.
Here is the Greek text:
[size=134])ελέφαντι ἀγελαίῳ μὲν τετιθασευμένῳ γε μὴν ὕδωρ πῶμά ἐστι, τῷ δὲ τὰ ἐς πόλεμον ἀθλοῦντι οἶνος μέν, οὐ μὴν ὁ τῶν ἀμπέλων, ἐπεὶ τὸν μὲν ἐξ ὀρύζης χειρουργοῦσι, τὸν δὲ ἐκ καλάμου. [/size]

You are right, there are no details.