Textkit Logo

rice wine

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.

rice wine

Postby mingshey » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:15 am

In an idle search for the etymology of the word 'rice'--at first I tried to find it in an Anglo-saxon dictionary-- I was led to LSJ entry [face=SPIonic]o)/ruza[/face]. And a reference utters [face=SPIonic]oi)/noj e)c o)ru/zhj[/face], Ael. NA13.8

Anybody know what this abbreviation points to, or what the material talks about the rice wine, whether it is a soju(distilled) or makguli(raw)?
mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Postby Paul » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:59 pm

Hi Mingshey,

The author is Aelianus. The work is De Natura Animalium.

Cordially,

Paul
Paul
Textkit Zealot

Postby mingshey » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:39 pm

Thanks, Paul! :D

I found out a quote in http://www.slowfood.com/img_sito/rivist ... angjiu.pdf :
‘The elephant from a herd which has been tamed drinks water, but the fighting elephant drinks wine, but not wine made from grapes, because they [the Indians: editor’s note] make it from both rice and bamboo canes’.

Well, it doesn't specify the details.
mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Postby Skylax » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:48 am

mingshey wrote:‘The elephant from a herd which has been tamed drinks water, but the fighting elephant drinks wine, but not wine made from grapes, because they [the Indians: editor’s note] make it from both rice and bamboo canes’.

Here is the Greek text:
[face=SPIonic])Ele/fanti a)gelai/w| me\n tetiqaseume/nw| ge mh\n u(/dwr pw=ma/ e)sti, tw=| de\ ta\ e)j po/lemon a)qlou=nti oi)=noj me/n, ou) mh\n o( tw=n a)mpe/lwn, e)pei\ to\n me\n e)c o)ru/zhj xeirourgou=si, to\n de\ e)k kala/mou.
[/face]

You are right, there are no details.
Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Return to Learning Greek