Textkit Logo

rice wine

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

rice wine

Postby mingshey » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:15 am

In an idle search for the etymology of the word 'rice'--at first I tried to find it in an Anglo-saxon dictionary-- I was led to LSJ entry [face=SPIonic]o)/ruza[/face]. And a reference utters [face=SPIonic]oi)/noj e)c o)ru/zhj[/face], Ael. NA13.8

Anybody know what this abbreviation points to, or what the material talks about the rice wine, whether it is a soju(distilled) or makguli(raw)?
mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Postby Paul » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:59 pm

Hi Mingshey,

The author is Aelianus. The work is De Natura Animalium.

Cordially,

Paul
Paul
Textkit Zealot

Postby mingshey » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:39 pm

Thanks, Paul! :D

I found out a quote in http://www.slowfood.com/img_sito/rivist ... angjiu.pdf :
‘The elephant from a herd which has been tamed drinks water, but the fighting elephant drinks wine, but not wine made from grapes, because they [the Indians: editor’s note] make it from both rice and bamboo canes’.

Well, it doesn't specify the details.
mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Postby Skylax » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:48 am

mingshey wrote:‘The elephant from a herd which has been tamed drinks water, but the fighting elephant drinks wine, but not wine made from grapes, because they [the Indians: editor’s note] make it from both rice and bamboo canes’.

Here is the Greek text:
[face=SPIonic])Ele/fanti a)gelai/w| me\n tetiqaseume/nw| ge mh\n u(/dwr pw=ma/ e)sti, tw=| de\ ta\ e)j po/lemon a)qlou=nti oi)=noj me/n, ou) mh\n o( tw=n a)mpe/lwn, e)pei\ to\n me\n e)c o)ru/zhj xeirourgou=si, to\n de\ e)k kala/mou.
[/face]

You are right, there are no details.
Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Return to Learning Greek