Use of preposition "en"

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
jr2ko
Textkit Neophyte

Use of preposition "en"

Post by jr2ko »

Hello all, first post so please have mercy if this was posted in the wrong section. Was involved in some bible study and wondered was there a grammatical basis why the same Greek preposition "en" was translated "in" in 2Tim 1:9 and "by" in 1 Co 1:4 in the KJV?

NateD26
Textkit Zealot

Re: Use of preposition "en"

Post by NateD26 »

Both verses seemingly contain the same idea, that God's grace and gift was given in the form of Jesus.
The Revised Standard edition correctly changed KJV initial "by" to reflect it.
Nate.

jr2ko
Textkit Neophyte

Post by jr2ko »

NateD26 wrote:Both verses seemingly contain the same idea, that God's grace and gift was given in the form of Jesus. The Revised Standard edition correctly changed KJV initial "by" to reflect it.
I checked the RSV and in both instances "en" was translated "in". Both verses do contain the same idea which is why I'm puzzled as to why the preposition "en" was translated different in each passage.

I ask because if "en" were translated "by" in 2 tim 1:9 just as it was in 1 co 1:4, it would add more evidence to Christ's preincarnate existence, since it would suggest that Christ--the agent, was the giver of grace before time began. Would that be grammatically accurate or am I off?

NateD26
Textkit Zealot

Post by NateD26 »

That would probably be a discussion more suited to Christian Theology forums.
From the Greek in these verses alone, there seems to be a clear distinction between God & Jesus.
Nate.