Textkit Logo

Koine to Classical

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Koine to Classical

Postby RachelK » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:41 pm

Just wondering if anyone could reccomend the best texts for learning classical greek, having taken koine. Is the transition very difficult? Can anyone explain the major differences to me? Thank you much!
RachelK
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Skylax » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:10 am

Hello, RachelK, and welcome to Textkit !

To the best of my knowledge, Koine Greek is somewhat simplified Attic Greek with some hebraisms in the case of the Bible. I have never been surprised so far by any Koine Greek grammatical form. Only the style can sometimes differ from the Attic usage.

You could maybe read of Lucian of Samosata, an author from the 2nd century BC edit : please read AD that wrote very classical Attic Greek. Here is a sample :

http://www.educnet.education.fr/musagora/europe/textes-en/lucien3.pdf

It is a little dialog between two wind-gods : Zephyrus, the west wind, tells Notus, the south wind, that he saw Zeus kidnapping Europe. Enjoy !

Skylax
Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby RachelK » Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:15 pm

Thanks! Now that I reread my post, I guess I could have made myself clearer. What I meant to ask was what book to learn classical and/or homeric greek since I already know Koine.
RachelK
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Greek