Textkit Logo

Demosthenes, first Phillipic

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.

Demosthenes, first Phillipic

Postby Klassikrasser » Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:32 pm

Hi, i'm new at the forum and i have a question about the first phillipic of demosthenes, in par 38 there is on the second line: "hoos ouk edei". Does anyone know what that means, what the function is of "hoos"? I've checked a few translations, but they nicely jumped over
Klassikrasser
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Demosthenes, first Phillipic

Postby Paul » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:03 pm

Klassikrasser wrote:Hi, i'm new at the forum and i have a question about the first phillipic of demosthenes, in par 38 there is on the second line: "hoos ouk edei". Does anyone know what that means, what the function is of "hoos"? I've checked a few translations, but they nicely jumped over

Hi Klassikrasser,

Welcome to Textkit!

Are you sure about the form "hoos"? It looks to me like the text reads [face=SPIonic]w(j ou)k e)/dei[/face].

The meaning's a bit harder. I suspect the imperfect [face=SPIonic]e)/dei[/face] is from the [face=SPIonic]de/w[/face] that means 'need' rather than 'bind'.

I also think that this may be an instance of what Smyth calls 'adherescent' [face=SPIonic]ou)[/face]. Such use imparts the opposite meaning to the verb. So I take the clause to mean, roughly, 'thus it is possible' as opposed to 'this it is not necessary'. (NB: 'thus' is translation of your 'hoos').

But it's idiomatic and I could well be wrong.

Cordially,

Paul
Paul
Textkit Zealot

Postby Klassikrasser » Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:30 pm

Thank you very much Paul, that may be the meaning, it fits well in the context. I had not heard until now of a 'adherescent' ou), and i do not think it is in the grammar i'm using.

And about my "hoos", i didn't know how you transcribed greek forms, but i believe you use the perseus-system, am i right? I transcribed the spiritus as a "h", the omega as "oo" and the final sigma as "s", but i'm also familar with the transcription you use.
Klassikrasser
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Greek