Textkit Logo

Alexander the Great?

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Alexander the Great?

Postby darthanakin » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:52 am

Hi, I'm a beginner at this stuff and I have some questions abot Alexander the Great, can anyone help me?
Are there any records of Alexander's voyage to India?
What dialect is Plato's dialogues in?
Are there any texts regarding the Olympic religion?
Where are Heracles, Jason and the Argonauts etc etc, those well-known Greek legends from?
darthanakin
Textkit Neophyte

Postby chad » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:03 am

hi, just to answer quickly,

1. the story of alexander's journey is described in 4 main ancient authors according to michael wood ("in the footsteps of alexander the great"), all available in the loeb series: arrian, quintus curtius, diodorus of sicily and plutarch.

2. attic.

3. don't really know what this is, although the sacrifice rituals performed at the olympic games are described in an easy-to-read way in a recent book called "the naked olympics" by perrottet.

4. the best way to find out about "who wrote what" is through the perseus encyclopedia: e.g. for heracles:

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/pt ... %3D%234235

it gives you links to classical authors on each fact about the person's life. :)
chad
Textkit Zealot

Postby darthanakin » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:53 am

thank you
darthanakin
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Greek