Textkit Logo

Twinkle in Greek

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Twinkle in Greek

Postby mingshey » Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:49 am

I just had to try this.
My wife's picked up "mica, mica, parva stella..." and it's one of her favourite lullabies for my daughter. But I wanted in Greek. So, with by far the most rusty Greek of mine:

[face=SPIonic]glau/sse, glau/sse, w)= 'ste\r mikro/j,
qauma/zw ox' kala/ ei).
kataugasmo\j e)ntau=qa,
w(\s liqei/a leuko/j ei).[/face]

Please help it sound like real Greek, but please keep it sing-able.
----

Well, nodoby's responding. :?
Am I abusing Ancient Greek to such a barbarism? :oops:
Anyway my second attempt, actually a little modification:

[face=SPIonic]glau/sse, glau/sse, a)ste\r mikro/j,
qauma/zw ox' kala/ ei).
kataugasmo\j ou)ranw=|
w(\s liqei/a leuko/j ei).[/face]
[/img]
Last edited by mingshey on Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Re: Twinkle in Greek

Postby annis » Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:43 pm

mingshey wrote:Well, nodoby's responding. :?

You set before us a difficult task! But I only recalled this post just now.

The first thing I need to know is if you wish to retain the repetition of "twinkle." I also want to make the "little star" a simple diminutive, [face=spionic]a)ste/rion[/face]. The word has other meanings (a town name; a kind of spider) but also works for "star." Also, I make a bunch of them, giving:

[face=spionic]ai)qo/men' a)ste/ria[/face]... which syllable count matches the song.

The rest will take more thinking.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;
annis
Textkit Zealot

Postby Skylax » Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:04 pm

Here is a modest proposition, but I could not translate the text literally :

[face=SPIonic]a)steri/ske la/mpe la/mpe
sou= qauma/zw to\ ei)=doj
u(you= ga\r e)n ou)ranw=|
a)dama/ntinoj fai/nh|
[/face]

(I guess one has to sing twice the last two lines?)

[face=SPIonic]o(rw= th\n pai=da/ sou kaq' h(me/ran kalli/w gignome/nhn. eu)daimo/nizw tou\j gone/aj au)th=j.[/face]
Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby annis » Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:17 pm

Skylax wrote:Here is a modest proposition, but I could not translate the text literally :

That's very nice!

The first two are repeated.
annis
Textkit Zealot

Postby mingshey » Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:29 am

I also made a simple grammatical error in writing what must be written [face=SPIonic]kalo/j[/face] as [face=SPIonic]kala/[/face]. :oops:
Skylax wrote:Here is a modest proposition, but I could not translate the text literally :

[face=SPIonic]a)steri/ske la/mpe la/mpe
sou= qauma/zw to\ ei)=doj
u(you= ga\r e)n ou)ranw=|
a)dama/ntinoj fai/nh|
[/face]

[face=SPIonic]o(rw= th\n pai=da/ sou kaq' h(me/ran kalli/w gignome/nhn. eu)daimo/nizw tou\j gone/aj au)th=j.[/face]

I've got to study some of the words, but, wonderful! And thanks!

In the first line would [face=SPIonic] la/mpe la/mpe a)steri/ske [/face] also work, to make the structure same as in "twinkle twinkle little star"? Or it cannot, to match the acctents with the tone of the melody?

In "Prometheus Bound" [face=SPIonic]a)dama/ntinoj[/face] is rendered as "(made) of steel". Though it is the etymology of 'diamond', does it also work for reminding of a little gem?
mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Re: Twinkle in Greek

Postby mingshey » Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:44 am

annis wrote:
mingshey wrote:Well, nodoby's responding. :?

You set before us a difficult task! But I only recalled this post just now.

The first thing I need to know is if you wish to retain the repetition of "twinkle." I also want to make the "little star" a simple diminutive, [face=spionic]a)ste/rion[/face]. The word has other meanings (a town name; a kind of spider) but also works for "star." Also, I make a bunch of them, giving:

[face=spionic]ai)qo/men' a)ste/ria[/face]... which syllable count matches the song.

The rest will take more thinking.

Yes I wished to repeat the 'twinkle', and to use a diminutive of a star for "little star", and the [face=SPIonic]a)ste/rios[/face] and [face=SPIonic]a)ste/rios[/face] were the candidates but I found them have other specific meanings already. Asterion even implied 'cannabis' and that was very far from what I wanted to remind people of. :? But thanks for telling me it is also good for the diminutive of '[face=SPIonic]a)sth/r[/face]'
mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Postby Skylax » Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:52 am

mingshey wrote:In the first line would [face=SPIonic] la/mpe la/mpe a)steri/ske [/face] also work, to make the structure same as in "twinkle twinkle little star"? Or it cannot, to match the acctents with the tone of the melody?

I think it could work also. I wrote it so to avoid an elision, but we can make some kind of caesura before [face=SPIonic]a)steri/ske [/face]

In "Prometheus Bound" [face=SPIonic]a)dama/ntinoj[/face] is rendered as "(made) of steel". Though it is the etymology of 'diamond', does it also work for reminding of a little gem?

the noun [face=SPIonic]a)da/maj[/face] was used for both "steel" and "diamond", so maybe also the adjective.
Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby PeterD » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:44 am

Happy New Year to all!

If I may, Mingshey, I would like to share a lullaby that my parents sang to me and now I, too, sing to my little girl (she will be 2 months old next week :D ). It's in Modern Greek, so bare with me philhellenes.

[face=SPIonic]Feggara/ki mou lampro/
fe/gge mou na perpatw/
na phgai/nw sto sxoleio/
na maqai/nw gra/mmata
gra/mmata spouda/gmata
tou qeou/ ta pra/gmata[/face]

Take care,

~PeterD (aka "superdad")

p.s. Life is beautiful. If you can, help someone in need. :)
Fanatical ranting is not just fine because it's eloquent. What if I ranted for the extermination of a people in an eloquent manner, would that make it fine? Rather, ranting, be it fanatical or otherwise, is fine if what is said is true and just. ---PeterD, in reply to IreneY and Annis
PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby mingshey » Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:03 am

Hi PeterD,
[face=SPIonic]Euxa/risto[/face] for the lullaby! :D
I'm always eager to pick up Modern Greek expressions occasionally, and used to listening to Nana Mouskouri in Greek. I was collecting the lyrics I heard from her CD's. [face=SPIonic]Brexh stin ftoxo gitonia, Pame mia bolta sto feggari, Ena to xelidoni, ktl.[/face](I'm not sure about the spelling, because as you know the pronunciations are ambiguous in MG. :wink: )

By the way, I wish I could also learn the melody, or a link to its sheet music. Or does it have any title? [face=SPIonic]Feggara/ki mou lampro/[/face]?

edit:
all I have found is this instrumental midi, and it sounds not so easy :D
mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Postby PeterD » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:46 pm

mingshey wrote:By the way, I wish I could also learn the melody, or a link to its sheet music. Or does it have any title? [face=SPIonic]Feggara/ki mou lampro/[/face]?

Its melody is very similar to the "twinkle, twinkle, little star" (Mozart) melody. Don't forget the stress falls on the accented syllable.

edit:
all I have found is this instrumental midi, and it sounds not so easy :D

No, it's not it.
Last edited by PeterD on Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fanatical ranting is not just fine because it's eloquent. What if I ranted for the extermination of a people in an eloquent manner, would that make it fine? Rather, ranting, be it fanatical or otherwise, is fine if what is said is true and just. ---PeterD, in reply to IreneY and Annis
PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby annis » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:52 pm

mingshey wrote: and used to listening to Nana Mouskouri in Greek.

I am partial to Haris Alexiou.
annis
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Greek