Textkit Logo

Age of Greek words: MP3s of someone speaking Greek

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Age of Greek words: MP3s of someone speaking Greek

Postby kotinga » Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:27 am

Hello, my name is Paul, and I am a New Zealander living China.

I would like to know how I can find out how old Greek words are. When, for example, did the word marathon come into existence?

Also, can I source different speakers speaking different genre of Greek: formal written, informal written, informal spoken, interactive Greek (now that is one I would really like to hear).

I am a new member. This is one great site.

Regards

Paul Mead
kotinga
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Emma_85 » Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:45 pm

Hi Paul, Welcome to Textkit!

I would like to know how I can find out how old Greek words are. When, for example, did the word marathon come into existence?

An etymological dictionary should be able to tell you that sort for thing. I don't know if there is one online or not, there might be somewhere...

Also, can I source different speakers speaking different genre of Greek: formal written, informal written, informal spoken, interactive Greek (now that is one I would really like to hear).

I'm afraid I don't know any websites that are good for that specifically... but here is one website... http://wiredforbooks.org/iliad/
now he is just reading the Illiad - it would actually have been sung.
phpbb
Emma_85
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Learning Greek