Textkit Logo

definite article with names

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

definite article with names

Postby Yvonne » Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:55 pm

Hello, I have a very basic question. I'm not actually learning Greek, I'm just using Perseus to do some research and I've come across a Greek usage that I want to check.

What does it mean when the definite article is used with a name? Specifically, I was looking for instances of the name *)/arghn (Argen) and found two different usages. One was the name for one of the kyklopes, along with Brontes and Steropes. The other was for a nymph that is always paired with Opis. I was actually researching the latter as a companion of Artemis.

What I noticed was that when *)/arghn was used to name the male kyklopes, it didn't have an article. But for the nymph, the phrase was always: kai tên Argên te kai tên Ôpin (Herodotus 4.35.1)

In the case of Arge and Opis, are this really titles? Thanks for any help.

-Yvonne Rathbone
Yvonne
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Skylax » Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:35 am

Hello !
Humbert (Syntaxe grecque, § 65) says that the article indicates some familiarity with the person, or some special interest. Without article, the expression is more formal. The article appears also when it is about a character of the story told : [face=SPIonic]Kai\ ei)=pen o( Swkra/thj[/face] "And Socrates (about which we are talking) said:..."
Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Return to Learning Greek