Textkit Logo

Owen and Goodspeed

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Owen and Goodspeed

Postby Bert » Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:01 am

Is the Homeric vocabulary guide by Owen and Goodspeed any good?
I had a look at some of the pages on Amazon.
It only seems to give the lexical forms and a simple gloss.
I can see the listing in order of # of occurrences being useful for memorizing vocab, but without any information besides the lexical form I am wondering how useful.
Any thoughts?
Bert
Textkit Zealot

Postby annis » Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:47 am

I have it, but the first thing I had to do was go add principal parts to the verbs, and genders to the nouns ("is that a second declension [face=spionic]-oj[/face] or a neuter third declension [face=spionic]-oj[/face]?"). This is a negative.

You can very easily use Perseus to do a "give me the top occuring words in Homer," or just by books of Homer, and it will produce a vast list... which you'll still have to go hunt down the prinicpal parts to. It also does not order words by type (or didn't the last time I checked). Frankly, I don't need to know that the top occuring word is [face=spionic]de/[/face]; this word I know, and don't want to see it in my vocab lists ever again. For this the O&G is very good.

But these days I rely on Perseus' vocab tool, which can be made quite useful with a little tweaking, and the patience to wait for it to answer you.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;
annis
Textkit Zealot

Postby mingshey » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:55 am

annis wrote:But these days I rely on Perseus' vocab tool, which can be made quite useful with a little tweaking, and the patience to wait for it to answer you.

If there's a god I can bid my wishes to, the first thing I want to get is patience. :cry:
mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Greek