Textkit Logo

Accentuation.

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Accentuation.

Postby peripatein » Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:38 pm

Hello,

I have started learning ancient greek two months ago, having already acquired quite a thorough understanding of Latin grammar and having practised both reading and composition.

I would like to pose, however, a simple question, hoping to clarify a rather simple affair, I imagine, concerning Greek accentuation.
I am, yet, acquainted only with the second declension and the first conjugation.
The rules for the accent re-positioning in the case of first conjugation verbs, are, I am afraid, not quite lucid from my limited perspective.
Whilst admitting the absence of a preliminary paradigm from which to deduce further, serving as reference, that is, how shall one come to postulate the accentuation of a long penult? For instance.
I may have brought poorly this question into being, and, however, would estime any sincere clarification.
peripatein
Textkit Neophyte

Postby chad » Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:28 pm

Hi Peripatein, your question is very clear :)

There is a great website which talks about accentuation in ancient Greek:

http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~ancgreek/ ... ation.html

With 1st conjugation verbs, it does not matter whether the penult is long or short. Generally, if the last syllable is short, the acute accent goes on the 3rd-last syllable (or if the verb has 2 syllables, on the 1st syllable).

légomen (we say, 1st person plural of légw)

If the last syllable is long, the acute accent goes on the 2nd-last syllable (or if the verb has 2 syllables, on the 1st syllable).

e)klégw (I pick, 1st person singular)

This is the general rule, but there are exceptions. The website linked above will explain them. Good luck!
chad
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Greek