Textkit Logo

Potential Optative Clause with Relative Pronoun?

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Potential Optative Clause with Relative Pronoun?

Postby PeterD » Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:37 am

Hi,

From Plato's Apology, 34b6,

[face=SPIonic]Ei0=en dh/, w)= a)/ndrej: a(\ me\n e)gw\ e)/xoim0 a)\n a)pologei=sqai, sxedo/n e)sti tau=ta kai\ a)/lla i)/swj toiau=ta.[/face]

Can I call the first clause in the sentence above a potential optative with a neuter accusative plural relative pronoun ([face=SPIonic]a(/[/face])?

My traslation: "Very well, men; that ([face=SPIonic]tau=ta[/face]) is about all, and more perhaps of the same kind ([face=SPIonic]toiau=ta[/face]), which ([face=SPIonic]a(/[/face]) I could/ have to offer in (my) defence."

Thank you.

~PeterD
Fanatical ranting is not just fine because it's eloquent. What if I ranted for the extermination of a people in an eloquent manner, would that make it fine? Rather, ranting, be it fanatical or otherwise, is fine if what is said is true and just. ---PeterD, in reply to IreneY and Annis
PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Emma_85 » Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:24 pm

Yes, I'd think that this optative is potential too (it has an 'an' too which is signalling that this optative should be seen as a potential one), you might even translate it with 'can'.
phpbb
Emma_85
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Learning Greek