Textkit Logo

Manuscripts and Homer

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Manuscripts and Homer

Postby Dean » Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:36 am

Hi Everyone!

I was wondering if anyone has found any pictures of the manuscripts of Greek authors on the web?

Also the variant readings to the beginning of the Illiad, does anyone have any idea where I might find this?

Thanks,

Dean
Dean
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Manuscripts and Homer

Postby annis » Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:20 pm

Dean wrote:I was wondering if anyone has found any pictures of the manuscripts of Greek authors on the web?

What exactly are you trying to do? For images of real papyrus, the Oxyrhynchus is good. Go to "The Papyri", enter the search and look for, say, "Homer" in the editorial title.

Also the variant readings to the beginning of the Illiad, does anyone have any idea where I might find this?

Any critical edition should have these. The OCTs have the variants, though old. The new West edition from Teubner is pricy, but has a lot of variants. A search through Homer & the Papyri is likely to be fruitful, too.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;
annis
Textkit Zealot

Postby PeterD » Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:16 pm

Excellent sites...both have been added to my favourites Greek list. Thank you.

~PeterD
Fanatical ranting is not just fine because it's eloquent. What if I ranted for the extermination of a people in an eloquent manner, would that make it fine? Rather, ranting, be it fanatical or otherwise, is fine if what is said is true and just. ---PeterD, in reply to IreneY and Annis
PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby annis » Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:26 pm

I forgot: The Chicago Homer. The user interface seems vaster than necessary. But when you view an Iliad line, pay attention to the blue line citation numbers at the far left. Clicking those will take you to a wondrous place.
annis
Textkit Zealot

Postby chrisb » Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:29 pm

The Chicago Homer site is fantastic. Whow!! :lol:

chrisb
chrisb
Textkit Neophyte

Postby PeterD » Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:26 pm

In the Chicago Homer, I am having trouble with the font. I have squares between some letters of all the Greek words. How would I correct the problem? Thank you.
Fanatical ranting is not just fine because it's eloquent. What if I ranted for the extermination of a people in an eloquent manner, would that make it fine? Rather, ranting, be it fanatical or otherwise, is fine if what is said is true and just. ---PeterD, in reply to IreneY and Annis
PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby annis » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:04 pm

PeterD wrote:In the Chicago Homer, I am having trouble with the font. I have squares between some letters of all the Greek words.

On the front page, before you enter the User Interface of Doom, they have a brief note about fonts at the bottom. Precomposed UNICODE sets seems to be the secret, but I'm guessing for your case.
annis
Textkit Zealot

Postby PeterD » Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:40 am

Hi William,

It says to set the browser to UTF-8. I did that, but I still have the problem. :? I have Windows XP.
PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Paul » Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:03 am

Hi Peter,

It sounds like a font problem. What browser do you use?

If IE, please try

Tools > Internet Options > Fonts

In dialog's left hand select list scroll to find either 'arial unicode ms' or 'palatino linotype' (two fairly common Unicode fonts). If you don't have these but know another Unicode font on your system, select it instead.

Then retry Chicago Homer.

Let me know if this works.

Cordially,

Paul
Paul
Textkit Zealot

Postby EmptyMan » Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:06 am

Does anyone know of a place that I could obtain microfiche or microfilm manuscripts of Homer?
EmptyMan
Textkit Neophyte

Postby PeterD » Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:39 pm

Paul, I have IE.

I tried the fonts you suggested as well as all the others. No change.
PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Pete » Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:00 pm

what if you go in internet explorer to tools(menu bar)>internet options(menu option)>general (tab)>fonts(button).... and then for "language script: latin based" change the "webpage font" to Palatino linotype? Does that produce anything good?
Pete
Textkit Neophyte

Postby PeterD » Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:25 pm

Pete wrote:what if you go in internet explorer to tools(menu bar)>internet options(menu option)>general (tab)>fonts(button).... and then for "language script: latin based" change the "webpage font" to Palatino linotype? Does that produce anything good?

It works! Previously I had set the language script to Greek. Thanks, Pete.
PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Return to Learning Greek