Textkit Logo

How should I start?

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

How should I start?

Postby MyIlium » Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:46 am

I'm a third-year Latin student interested in dabbling in Greek. I took a look at the Textkit e-books, but there are SO MANY. So, now I turn to you: which text is best in your opinion?
phpbb
MyIlium
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Geoff » Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:28 pm

What do you want to accomplish?

Many people think starting with Homer First is the best approach. If you're just interested in studying Greek and learning over time then I'd suggest this. Clyde Pharr's textbook looks great. You get to read Homer quite early on. There are several points of merit to working Homeric, progressing to Attic then possibly dabbling in Koine\Hellenistic.

If you're just interested in reading a certain attic writer, then start there. Several People here reccomend John William White's Book.

If you're just interested in Reading New Testament, moving from Homer to attic prior to NT is probably the best approach, but staying away from the Bible for such a length of time would be a bit frustrating. I'd probably have done this if I hadn't spent so much time working exclusively through a few Koine Grammars.

For Koine, Samuel Green is probably my favorite old textbook. Armed with it and casting a healthy eye at Nunn's would do wonders.
Geoff
Textkit Fan

Postby Soma » Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:02 pm

I like White's First Greek Book a lot. That's what I'm using right now.

If time permits and I'm not overcome with laziness or lethargy, I hope to finish the book within two weeks. I'm on lesson 20 or so right now.

I'm also attempting to acquire the vocabulary of the NT using an audio program I recently purchased. Hopefully, I'll be able to read the NT in Greek within a few weeks time!
Soma
Textkit Neophyte

Postby MyIlium » Sun Oct 03, 2004 4:36 am

Thanks. I never realized there were different eras as well. Old testament and New Testament and Koine and Attic and Homeric...

What are the differences, anyway? Right now I've started on an Old Testament reader and I've gotten as far as the alphabet and pronounciations and stuff. :?
phpbb
MyIlium
Textkit Neophyte

Postby annis » Sun Oct 03, 2004 2:45 pm

MyIlium wrote:What are the differences, anyway?

I talk about that a bit here: the Greek dialects.

Right now I've started on an Old Testament reader and I've gotten as far as the alphabet and pronounciations and stuff.

You should not start there. The Septuagint is very idiosyncratic Greek. If your main goal is reading Biblical material, I'd suggest you start with the NT Koine.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;
annis
Textkit Zealot

Postby Geoff » Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:40 pm

Do Read William's (Annis) link about dialects. Septuagint and New Test. are both Koine. Some grammars are New Testament Grammars whereas others are koine\hellenistic grammars which consider a bit broader range of writing from the same basic era.

Green is Good! You can do it.
Geoff
Textkit Fan

Postby MyIlium » Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:45 am

I think I'll start with Epic and maybe go on to Koine and Attic once I've achieved some degree of proficiency. Thanks, people. Without your help I would have charged willy-nilly into...erm...Septuagint.
phpbb
MyIlium
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Greek