Textkit Logo

Another reading extract

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.

Another reading extract

Postby Bert » Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:34 pm

[face=SPIonic]oi( a)/nqrwpoi e)/xousin e(/kastoj du/o o)fqalmw/, kai\ de/ka daktu/louj, e)/xousi de\ fwnh\n kai\ akoh/n kai\ nou=n.[/face]
Initially I read this line fairly comfortably, but I was puzzled by the number of [face=SPIonic]e(/kastoj[/face].
I translated it as follows; The men have two eyes each, and ten fingers, and they have a voice and hearing and a mind.
In this translation, 'each' belongs to 'men', so it should agree with it in number, but it doesn't.
where did I go wrong?
Ps. Shouldn't the accent on [face=SPIonic]a)koh/n [/face]be a grave?
Bert
Textkit Zealot

Re: Another reading extract

Postby annis » Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:46 pm

Bert wrote:Initially I read this line fairly comfortably, but I was puzzled by the number of [face=SPIonic]e(/kastoj[/face].
I translated it as follows; The men have two eyes each, and ten fingers, and they have a voice and hearing and a mind.
In this translation, 'each' belongs to 'men', so it should agree with it in number, but it doesn't.

This is a quirk of [face=SPIonic]e(/kastoj[/face], that it may agree with a plural subject - well, "agree" isn't quite the right word, but it may occur in apposition to a plural subject, and will not usually change the number of the verb. [Smyth sec. 952]

Ps. Shouldn't the accent on [face=SPIonic]a)koh/n [/face]be a grave?

Yep.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;
annis
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Greek