Textkit Logo

modern Greek?

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

modern Greek?

Postby John L » Sat Sep 04, 2004 4:37 am

I have been studying koine Greek for awhile. I have recently purchased a couple of modern Greek books, one is "Travel Talk" and another is "Conversational Greek." I have noticed some differences in sounds of letters and differences in some vocabulary words. But I figured right now would be a good time to learn some modern Greek just incase I eventually would like to speak Greek. I figured learning to speak it would be helpful even though the variations takes some memorizing, but it seems to motivate me more with the chance to apply Greek beyond reading, but speaking it.

Has anyone here learned both? Is it worth the effort even if I don't get to use it as much as someone who learns Spanish? I wish I could be able to be around people who speak Greek just for the practice of using it.
John L
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Emma_85 » Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:28 pm

Well, I tried to learn modern Greek some time back (before I even started ancient Greek), but now I hardy have any time :( . I've found though that these teach-yourself-books are very good except for vocab. The best thing to do is to work through them and then go to Greece. That's bascially the only time you'll need modern Greek - if you visit Greece. The pronounciation is very different! beta is pronounced as a v for example and delta as th.
I'm not sure what to say about if it's worth learning... I used to visit Greece quite often, I don't now though :cry: (although I may move to Greece after school (or France or Spain or the UK :wink: )). Spanish will probably be more useful if you often go to a Spanish spaking country and Greece more if you go to Greece basically :P .
phpbb
Emma_85
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Learning Greek