Textkit Logo

Ancient Greek Vocab Learning----at a distance

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Ancient Greek Vocab Learning----at a distance

Postby cinisflammaeque » Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:44 pm

I am an adult learner learning Greek through an interactive online 2 year course in Britain. (Unfortunately it is very difficult finding anywhere that teaches Greek to GCSE and A level standard at evening class...) so far I have completed the first year, fairly ably but it's been hard , the most unhelpful thing is being unable to hear the vocabulary ..

when learning Latin the vocab entered my brain through eyes and ears...as there was face to face tuition. Learning Greek is much harder as a distance learner, as there is the classical Greek script to get used to, and typing it using an English keyboard has cost me many mistakes...pi and rho being the usual slip! Having got to grips with the alphabet one needs to translate the Greek into a Latin script before translating it into English....at least this is the only way I can manage it.

Can ANYone suggest ANYTHING that might help the lack of oral/aural tuition when it comes to learning vocab. I suspect that the mental pronunciation I use would be unintelligible to any ancient Greek.

The grammar and syntax is the easy part....the vocab is my nemesis!

I need to have learned about 800 Greek words plus all the declensions/conjugation before next June's exams....
cinisflammaeque
Textkit Neophyte

Postby chad » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:36 am

hi, have you seen this site?

http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~ancgreek/ ... start.html

it has lots of vocab lists and drills, with audio (you can choose to hear the words in a male or female voice).

there is also a vocab tab on textkit's homepage: you've probably already seen it though if you're here. :)
chad
Textkit Zealot

Postby cinisflammaeque » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:54 pm

Thanks a lot. I shall try and make a tape that I can listen to in the car etc.
I have a copy of Peter Jones' "Learning Greek" tape (classical Greek that is) but the speech is too fast! I think I shall lobby my home university to put on some ancient Greek elementary courses in the new academic year!
cinisflammaeque
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Greek