Rendering into Greek

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Skirnir
Textkit Neophyte

Rendering into Greek

Post by Skirnir »

I am attempting to render this motto 'From two (gold coins) (spawn/emerge) a third'. Thus far, I have Ἐκ δυοῖν χρυσίοιν γίγνεται τὸ τρίτο; have I rendered correctly? Furthermore, would a re-ordering of the words be advisable, and is δυοῖν redundant as the quantity is implied through the use of the dual? Thank you for your help.

Polyfloisbos
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Rendering into Greek

Post by Polyfloisbos »

That sounds good to me, but maybe you can change the dual to singular without preposition, as in the beginning of the Anabasis by Xenophon: Δαρείου καὶ Παρυσάτιδος γίγνονται παῖδες δύο...

Sceptra Tenens
Textkit Member

Post by Sceptra Tenens »

Polyfloisbos wrote:That sounds good to me, but maybe you can change the dual to singular without preposition, as in the beginning of the Anabasis by Xenophon: Δαρείου καὶ Παρυσάτιδος γίγνονται παῖδες δύο...
I'm not sure what you are saying - the only dual I see is δυοῖν, which should maybe be plural instead, but it definitely can't be made singular, and is not analogous to the δύο in Xenophon - Xenophon was referring to the two sons, but this one is referring to the two "parents", as it were.

My Greek, however, approaches to nonexistence.
mihi iussa capessere fas est

Polyfloisbos
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Polyfloisbos »

Sceptra Tenens wrote:
Polyfloisbos wrote:That sounds good to me, but maybe you can change the dual to singular without preposition, as in the beginning of the Anabasis by Xenophon: Δαρείου καὶ Παρυσάτιδος γίγνονται παῖδες δύο...
I'm not sure what you are saying - the only dual I see is δυοῖν, which should maybe be plural instead, but it definitely can't be made singular, and is not analogous to the δύο in Xenophon - Xenophon was referring to the two sons, but this one is referring to the two "parents", as it were.

My Greek, however, approaches to nonexistence.
Well, there's also χρυσίοιν as a dual, but you're right, I meant plural, not singular. The analogy with Xenophon is still valid: χρυσέoιν (αργυρίοιν) δυοῖν γίγνεται τὸ τρίτον (genitive wihtout prep. plus verb plus subject).

But there are also lots of uses of δυοῖν with preposition ἐκ in Thucyidides (ex.: 8, 44, 2), so it's up to you.

Sceptra Tenens
Textkit Member

Post by Sceptra Tenens »

Aha, got it. Thank you.
mihi iussa capessere fas est

Skirnir
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Skirnir »

I had not thought to make reference to Xenophon or another author in the motto. I am sadly not well-versed in Greek letters save for Aristotle.

The idea is that one is rubbing two coins together to spawn a third, so perhaps Χρυσίου καὶ ἀργυρίου γίγνονται παῖδες πολλοί would be suitable. My main concern there would be that the *ahem* παῖδες would be neuter (i.e. χρύσιον & ἀργύριον) yet the gender of παῖδες must either be masculine or feminine, though this might fall under 'poetic license'.