Life of Aesop?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Helikwps
Textkit Neophyte

Life of Aesop?

Post by Helikwps »

A very old edition of The Classical Review had an article suggesting a scheme for a Greek reader. One of the readings mentioned went as follows:

"Aesop's Life, chaps 10, 12, 15, 22. Prototype of Owlglass, The Fables, and the Jest-books."

Does anyone know the Greek text being referred to? I've had no luck finding it. Any help greatly appreciated and thanks...
Tim

lauragibbs
Textkit Member

Re: Life of Aesop?

Post by lauragibbs »

There is a wonderful Bryn Mawr Classics edition of the Life of Aesop, edited by William Hansen:
http://www.amazon.com/Anonymous-Life-Ae ... 1931019045

Helikwps
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Helikwps »

Thanks so much for this! Just to be sure, the Amazon description says it's English-language but the text is Greek, right?

It's very much appreciated and thanks!

lauragibbs
Textkit Member

Post by lauragibbs »

Yes, absolutely - those Bryn Mawr commentaries contain the Greek (or Latin) text and detailed notes. There's a comprehensive list of Bryn Mawr Commentaries here: http://bmcr.brynmawr.edu/commentaries.html

For a text that is English only, William Hansen's Anthology of Ancient Greek Popular Literature is really great - it reprints Lloyd Daly's English translation of the life of Aesop.

Helikwps
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Helikwps »

Wonderful, then I'll get it today and thanks so much! (The Bryn Mawr list looks interesting, very eclectic...)

Prometheus2012
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Prometheus2012 »

Can you give me the link to this "edition of The Classical Review which had an article suggesting a scheme for a Greek reader"?
Btw I found the fables of Aesop to be very good and easy for keeping up my Greek. I came from Koine ( New Testament , Church Fathers ) and when did Longus and some others Ancient Novels. Now am reading Anabasis. My distant dream is to read Homer. I go from the late greek to more archaic one. It seems to me that the old greek is more clear and enjoyable. Aesop has wrote his fables in 6 BC and his language is very clear.
The Life of Aesop was composed about 1 century AD as i know but it is very good idea to brush up my greek and I have ordered one today! Thank you very much for an idea! [/b]