Smyth XREF

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Paul
Textkit Zealot

Smyth XREF

Post by Paul »

Hi All,

Over the last few weeks I've been working on a cross-reference for Smyth's Greek Grammar. It is now available at http://www.greekgeek.org. Look for it in the table of contents frame.

The xref tries to relate each of Smyth's text citations to the Grammar's paragraphs. So...if you've ever wondered, "Does Smyth have anything to say about this line of Thucydides?", you can now find out.

As I state on the web page, it's a work in progress; not yet perfect.

Please let me know if you find it helpful; also let me know about problems, etc.

NB: it's a big file. If you're accessing via dial-up, be patient. :)

Cordially,

Paul

PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by PeterD »

εὖγε, παῦλε.
Fanatical ranting is not just fine because it's eloquent. What if I ranted for the extermination of a people in an eloquent manner, would that make it fine? Rather, ranting, be it fanatical or otherwise, is fine if what is said is true and just. ---PeterD, in reply to IreneY and Annis

PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by PeterD »

I simply want to say thanks, Paul. Earlier today, I was painstakingly trying to grammatically figure out a line from Plato's Apology, searching in vain in Smyth and other grammars for help. No luck. Then, it occurred to me that you had done a xref to Smyth's text citations to the grammar's paragraphs on www.greekgeek.org . Bingo! I found the passage.

Thanks, again, Paul. I can't wait to tell my Greek prose teacher about the xref!

~PeterD

p.s. I don't believe anyone has ever done such a xref. If not, is it possible, Paul, to contact the publishers of Smyths's Greek Grammar and offer your xref be added to the book the next time they do another printing (with compensation and name credits, of course)? Hey, one of the reasons that Gildersleeve's Syntax of Classical Greek is finally a must have is because it now contains an index of all the passages used (80 years after its publication!).
Fanatical ranting is not just fine because it's eloquent. What if I ranted for the extermination of a people in an eloquent manner, would that make it fine? Rather, ranting, be it fanatical or otherwise, is fine if what is said is true and just. ---PeterD, in reply to IreneY and Annis

Koala
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Koala »

Congrats, Paul

[size=134]χάριν ὀφείλομέν σοι[/size]

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

PeterD wrote:Thanks, again, Paul. I can't wait to tell my Greek prose teacher about the xref!
Koala wrote:Congrats, Paul
Thanks guys! The Smyth XREF is a strange beast. You almost never need it, but when you do, it can really be indispensable.

It's not yet perfect. There are a few hundred references that, for one reason or another, failed to get incorporated into the xref.

I have a standing note to myself to work on these....but it's a slow go.

Cordially,

Paul

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

How many more wonderful jobs do you have in mind? :D