What to read after Athenaze

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Greeklessjohn
Textkit Neophyte

What to read after Athenaze

Post by Greeklessjohn »

I had 3 yrs of Greek in the mid '70s but have forgotten all vocabulary
and a aome grammar. Am reading through Athanaze to refresh.
What do you recommend reading after Athenaze?
I want to concentrate on Attic until I have a solid base
in it.
I looked at the Greek Prose Reading Course for Post Beginners but
Lysias was pretty hard.
I really enjoyed the Anabasis way back when. Think I could do it
without a teacher?

ragnar_deerslayer
Textkit Neophyte

Re: What to read after Athenaze

Post by ragnar_deerslayer »

After Athenaze, you could try Rouse's A Greek Boy at Home.

If you go to Ed Donnelly's page, you'll find upwards of 30 “First Greek Reader”-type texts written for beginning students. I myself downloaded a dozen recommended by Spiphany.

Once you feel you're up to an “intermediate” level, try some of Steadman's texts + commentary. They're free to download, or pay for a hardcopy. If you want to try Anabasis, go for it! I'd recommend starting with an annotated reader's version - Ed Donnelly links to 5 different versions, and G. M. Edwards' version of Anabasis Book VI is available here on Textkit. (I also have Kelsey and Zeno's 1889 version of Books I-IV, but I can't remember where I found it.)

Hope this helps!

Ragnar
Read my blog! --> Study Greek

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Markos »

May I be so immodest as to suggest that you try reading some of my super-simplified, super-easy “leveled” readings? They can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=22003

I don’t know if reading lots of this McGreek will help you to internalize Ancient Greek or not. The only way we will know is if people like you give it a try.

Polyfloisbos
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Polyfloisbos »

Ragnar suggestions are quite interesting. You can also check Athénaze II, or even the compilations that complement Athénaze (the "Ephodion" will give you some ideas about hellenistic greek, as well as Classical). If you want to read the authors themselves, Xenophon, Menander's sentences, the Romance of Alexander, Plato's Apology or even the NT will improve your greek as well.