H & Q - Unit 1 - Page 36 #8

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Matteos
Textkit Neophyte

H & Q - Unit 1 - Page 36 #8

Post by Matteos »

Hi Everybody,

This is my first post on textkit so I guess I'd better introduce myself before I grill you with my question about H & Q Unit 1.

My name is Matt. About 1 1/2 years ago I was in the shower and had a revelation: I would take Ancient Greek and learn how to read The Iliad in the original language. To my great surprise [sarcasm level = 8] my friends were not as enthusiastic about it as I was. “Why? What will it get you?” I’m sure most of you have heard this one before.

Anyway, I took the 1 year introductory course in Attic and found it moderately difficult, considering I hadn’t learned another language before (other than French at an early age,) and considering the pace which I thought was a little bit on the swift side. It helped that I made a friend with a last name ending in -opoulos on the first day of class (wink wink PeterD.)

At the end of it I felt like I’d learned a lot but wanted to take a second pass at it to fortify what I’d learned. So now I’m going through the Hansen & Quinn book.

Ok, so here’s my question. How do you translate the following (H&Q p.36)
[size=184] ὁ θεὸς δῶρον τῷ ( (ομήρου ἀδελφῷ πέμπει εἰς τὴν χώραν

I got: The god sends to the country a gift with the brother of Homer.

Thanks,

Matteos

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

The god sends a present to Homer's brother in his homeland.

pempei - to send something (acc.) to someone (dat.)
hope that helped

Matteos
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Matteos »

yep.

thanks...uhh... Mr. Depp.