kathedountai

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Emma_85
Global Moderator

kathedountai

Post by Emma_85 »

On Thursday I wasted 4 hours of my life on a 'Klausur Griechisch 12', as did my classmates. :cry:

I so hate translating Lukian, so of course it was a Lukian text we had to translate :-P.

Anyway, this was not a test my teacher had set, but some external board and their commentary was very strange,
e.g. αὔριον = morning
or
μὴ ἐλάσῃς = negated imperative of ἐλαύνω

so they were commenting on easy things like this but they didn’t help at all on the form
καθεδοῦνται
which subsequently everyone in my class could not find in the dictionary and everyone got wrong :evil: . Later when we complained to our teacher he said it was from καθιζομαι .
But how can that be?
I looked up καθιζω in my dictionary and couldn’t find the form καθεδοῦνται . :?

So does it come from καθιζω and if so ...uh... how?

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

All these "seat/sit" words are messy and easily confused with one another.

ἑδοῦμαι is the future of [u]ἕ[/u]ζομαι.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Ah, thanks Will! :)
How annoying... we had to learn 150 principle parts not long ago, and that word was definately not one of them, I just checked. :(
But now I know...

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

Uuggggghh!! Principle parts! I just had a horrid flashback of 2nd year Greek.....I principle parts...memorizing them that is. I must admit, it's nice to have them in your toolbox when you come upon a strange word!

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

Kopio wrote:Uuggggghh!! Principle parts!
amen to that!

I forget a lot of mine now... I should review them...
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

I must admit, it's nice to have them in your toolbox when you come upon a strange word!
Yes, it's very useful to know the principle parts. This word wasn't on my list though :evil:.

Thing is that because of this one word we've all messed up the exam. It's one of those 'competitions' for a stipend and you only really have a chance if you have zero mistakes.