Textkit Logo

kai between adjectives

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

kai between adjectives

Postby Bert » Fri Jul 04, 2003 10:44 pm

I translated e)/xomen polla\j kai\ kala\j boula/j as "we have many and good plans". kai\ seems not necessary so it could be "we have many good plans". Or does kai/ make this mean something like;" we have many plans, and good ones at that".<br />Thank you.
Bert
Textkit Zealot

Re: kai between adjectives

Postby annis » Fri Jul 04, 2003 10:53 pm

It means "we have many good plans." Greek doesn't like to string together adjectives without some connection. When two adjectives go with a noun they will always be connected with [face=SPIonic]kai/[/face].
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;
annis
Textkit Zealot

Re: kai between adjectives

Postby auctor » Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:25 pm

This is probably not needed after William's explanation but (as a learner myself) one shouldn't forget that kai <br />is often better translated as *also*, *as well* as well as the more emphatic *and*.<br />In my limited experience Greek ties phrases together with conjunctions/particles that *normal* English wouldn't normally use. The difficulty (for me) is translating Greek accurately for the tutor's benefit (and for my own to get better marks!) and at the same time producing a fluid English version.<br /><br />Question: Is there a valediction in Greek to compare with *cheers for now*... xaire seems too final to me for our chit-chats, or am I wrong. Any ideas?<br /><br />Paul
auctor
Textkit Member

Return to Learning Greek