Textkit Logo

new classical pronunciation of sophocles

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

new classical pronunciation of sophocles

Postby chad » Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:13 am

i just found this new reconstructed pronunciation of sophocles, electra, 1126-1170, it's not in the main menu of the "rhapsodoi" site so i didn't know it existed until today...

if anyone hasn't listened to the rhythm of greek iambic trimeter before, this is definitely worth listening to. iambic tri's rhythm was considered "most similar to normal speaking" of all the poetry metres. the greek is really nice: a classic grieving scene from one of sophocles' tragedies.

http://www.rhapsodes.fll.vt.edu/sophokles.htm

if it seems a bit too hard, i've just rewritten the start in normal prose, and added in extra words (in red), to make it more simple...

[face=SPIonic]w} mnhmei=on[/face] [face=Arial]oh, memorial (vocative neuter, talking about the urn in her hands)[/face] [face=SPIonic]filta&tou a)nqrw&pou[/face] [face=Arial]of the dearest man[/face] [face=SPIonic]e0moi\[/face] [face=Arial]to me[/face] [face=SPIonic]pa&ntwn a)nqrw&pwn[/face] [face=Arial]of all men,[/face]

[face=SPIonic]w} loipo\n[/face] [face=Arial]oh, remainder (the ashes in the urn)[/face] [face=SPIonic]yuxh=j[/face] [face=Arial]of the life[/face] [face=SPIonic]'Ore/stou,[/face] [face=Arial]of Orestes (her brother),[/face]

[face=SPIonic]ei0sedeca&mhn[/face] [face=Arial]I have received[/face] [face=SPIonic]w!j s' a)p' e0lpi/dwn[/face] [face=Arial](how (far) from all hopes!)[/face] [face=SPIonic]ou0x w{sper[/face] [face=Arial]not the very thing which[/face] [face=SPIonic]e0ce/pempon[/face] [face=Arial]I sent (talking about Orestes: she sent him away a person, and got back ashes).[/face]

[face=SPIonic]e0gw_ ga_r me\n[/face] [face=Arial]For I, on the one hand (reversing the sentence order here to make it clearer)[/face] [face=SPIonic]e0ce/pemya& se,[/face] [face=Arial]I sent you,[/face] [face=SPIonic]lampro/n,[/face] [face=Arial]LIFE'S BRIGHTNESS, (Orestes is himself the brightness which Electra sent) [/face] [face=SPIonic]do/mwn [/face][face=Arial]from home(s) (gen. plural),[/face] [face=SPIonic]w} pai=,[/face] [face=Arial]oh child,[/face]

[face=SPIonic]nu=n de\[/face] [face=Arial]but now on the other hand[/face] [face=SPIonic]basta/zw [/face][face=Arial]I lift[/face] [face=SPIonic]xeroi=n[/face] [face=Arial]in (my) 2 hands[/face] [face=SPIonic]ou0de\n o1nta[/face] [face=Arial]NOTHINGNESS ("nothing being". acc. participle).[/face]

[face=SPIonic]w(j w!felon[/face] [face=Arial]How I ought (to have done: followed by infinitive)[/face] [face=SPIonic]e0klipei=n[/face] [face=Arial]to depart (aorist infinitive, here "to have departed")[/face] [face=SPIonic]bi/on[/face] [face=Arial]life[/face] [face=SPIonic]pa&roiqen[/face] [face=Arial]before/then (so, "how i ought to have ended my life then"),[/face]

[face=SPIonic]pri\n[/face] [face=Arial]before[/face] [face=SPIonic]e0kpe/myai se,[/face] [face=Arial]sending you (aorist infinitive),[/face] [face=SPIonic]kle/yasa,[/face] [face=Arial]secretly (aorist nominative participle),[/face] [face=SPIonic]toi=nde xeroi=n,[/face] [face=Arial]with these hands,[/face] [face=SPIonic]e0j ce/nhn gai=an[/face] [face=Arial]to (that) foreign land,[/face]

[face=SPIonic]kanasw&sasqai/ se[/face] [face=Arial]to save you[/face] [face=SPIonic]fo/nou[/face] [face=Arial]from "murder",[/face]

[face=SPIonic]o1pwj,[/face] [face=Arial]so that,[/face] [face=SPIonic]qanw_n th=| to/q' h9me/ra|,[/face] [face=Arial]dying then on (that) day,[/face] [face=SPIonic]e1keiso,[/face] [face=Arial]you were buried (at that time),[/face] [face=SPIonic]ei0lhxw_j koino\n[/face] [face=Arial]obtaining a share/part in (perfect participle active masc nom sg) (koino\n in this sense followed by gen.)[/face] [face=SPIonic]tu/mbou[/face] [face=Arial]the tomb (gen.)[/face] [face=SPIonic]patrw&|ou[/face] [face=Arial]of (your) father (gen).[/face]

when someone puts a good audio reading of greek online I think it's worth trying to learn the text, particularly for us who don't have teachers to listen to regularly… :)
chad
Textkit Zealot

Postby Emma_85 » Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:47 pm

This piece really surprised me. It wasn't like I'd imagined. It's different to what I've learned as the [face=spionic]f[/face] and [face=spionic]q[/face] were pronounce like pi and tau. I find that somewhat strange... why is that? I thought the whole point of these letters was that they were the 'softer' versions of the pi and tau. I also imagined the x to be more guttural before consonants.
phpbb
Emma_85
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Emma_85 » Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:54 pm

I just looked around the rest of the website... the Illiad was different from the reconstructions I've heared before at school, too. For one thing there weren't any long breaks between each vers, but maybe that was just because they were concentrating on the pronounciation :? .
phpbb
Emma_85
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 1%homeless » Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:21 pm

Thanks for the link Chad. Always nice to find new renditions.

So I tried finding more readings by Rachel Kitzinger... :)

http://people.bu.edu/bobl/ancientgreek.htm
1%homeless
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby chad » Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:39 am

hi eureka, thanks 4 the links, i haven't seen these before :)

It's different to what I've learned as the f and q were pronounce like pi and tau. I find that somewhat strange... why is that? I thought the whole point of these letters was that they were the 'softer' versions of the pi and tau. I also imagined the x to be more guttural before consonants.

hi em, i'm still not sure about exactly how the aspirate should be pronounced, at the back of the mouth near the throat or in the middle of the mouth... dionysius of halicarnassus in the loeb 'critical essays' vol 2 gives the best explanation:

pronounce these sounds in order: [face=SPIonic]b p f, d t q, g k x[/face]: in each of these series of 3 consonants, you gradually move the point where you pronounce these "inside" your mouth. but it doesn't explain where exactly you pronounce the aspirated consonants: it could be back as far as where you pronounce a french r, i'm not sure... so i think it's still open to interpretation; the reading of aspirated consonants in this recording is one possibility, but it could be softer as you say. :)
chad
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Greek